Good 1st year grad level texts in galaxies and cosmology

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for 1st or 2nd year graduate level textbooks on galaxies and cosmology. They mention a requirement for the courses at their university, but are also considering self-studying before applying to graduate school. They have come across multiple recommendations for textbooks such as Weinberg, Dodelson, and Binney, but are leaning towards Dodelson due to their background in physics and astronomy. They are also not interested in Binney's book and are wondering if Peacock and Longair's books are solid choices. They express some concern about Dodelson being better suited for those with a particle physics background, but the response suggests that it is common for early universe work to involve an understanding of
CosmicDestiny
I'm looking for some appropriate 1st year, or possibly 2nd year, level grad texts on galaxies and cosmology. The grad course at my university requires Cosmological Physics by Peacock and Galaxy Formation by Longair. I've noticed many old cosmology course websites require Weinberg or Dodelson or Binney; though from what I have seen Dodelson might be better for me since I will be self-studying for a year or two (likely going to sit in on some classes for some background material and hopefully get some references haha) before I consider applying to grad school. As for Binney, I'm not interested in dynamics and his book from 1998 seems outdated from what I have read. I've also read on the forums that Dodelson might be better suited for people with a background in particle physics; I would much rather learn from the astrophysical perspective. So do any of you have suggestions for which cosmology and which galaxy book I should get? Are the books by Peacock and Longair solid to learn from? Please note, my background is a completed bachelors with a double major in physics and astronomy so hopefully that gives you a sense of what to recommend. Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the claim about Dodelson being better suited to people with a particle physics background: most early universe work does involve a decent understanding of particle physics and other high energy phenomena. I'm not sure how one gets around that.

I wouldn't be super concerned with "old" textbooks. If you're trying to build a foundational understanding of cosmology and structure formation (vs doing cutting-edge research), you don't need the latest and greatest. For example, Kolb and Turner is from 1994 and I still reach for it regularly. The early chapters on thermal history and the one on structure formation are excellent.

Related to Good 1st year grad level texts in galaxies and cosmology

1. What topics should a good 1st year grad level text in galaxies and cosmology cover?

A good 1st year grad level text in galaxies and cosmology should cover topics such as galaxy formation and evolution, dark matter and dark energy, the expanding universe, cosmological models, and observational techniques in cosmology.

2. How much mathematical background is needed for understanding these texts?

A strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and basic knowledge of differential equations is necessary for comprehending the mathematical concepts in these texts. Some familiarity with statistical methods and computer programming may also be helpful.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for this subject?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for 1st year grad level students in galaxies and cosmology include "Galaxy Formation and Evolution" by Houjun Mo, Frank van den Bosch, and Simon White, "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle, and "The Physics of the Early Universe" by Edward Kolb and Michael Turner.

4. How can these texts be used in conjunction with current research in the field?

Many of these textbooks incorporate current research and developments in the field through updated editions or through supplementary materials such as online resources. They can also serve as a foundation for further reading and understanding of current research papers.

5. Are there any online resources or lectures that can supplement these texts?

Yes, there are various online resources and lectures available that can supplement these texts. Some universities and organizations provide open access to lecture notes, videos, and other resources for graduate level courses in galaxies and cosmology. Additionally, many research papers are available online for further reading and understanding of current research in the field.