Golf Swing Force: Estimating Club Impacts Ball

• Thread starter deadtreforest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Golf
In summary, The conversation discusses the problem of estimating the magnitude of force exerted by a club on a golf ball during a typical golf swing. The ball, weighing 45 grams, acquires a speed of 63 m/s in 0.0011 seconds. The participants have tried different equations such as mv^2/t and mv^2/t^2, but they realize that they need to use the proper equation that relates force with mass, speed, and time. They also discuss the importance of understanding the problem and working forwards, rather than just working backwards.
deadtreforest
In a typical golf swing, the club is in contact with the ball for about 0.0011 s. If the 45 g ball acquires a speed of 63 m/s, estimate the magnitude of the force exerted by the club on the ball.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the problem? What have you tried thus far?

i was trying mv^2/t
i think its actually mv^2/ t^2

deadtreforest said:
i was trying mv^2/t
i think its actually mv^2/ t^2
No, neither of these are correct; why do you think so? You are given m, t, and the speed of the ball after impact; you need to first identify the speed of the ball before impact, then find the average force of impact, using the proper equation that relates force with mass, speed, and time. What is that equation?

i worked backwards with the anwser i was given but i messed up and put a divid sign in there

the equation i got was mv^2t^2
but i have some doubts about the anwser.

thanks

I think we have to check the whether before we start the game. Working backwards may work. i didn't try it.

yeah, you just have to try and relate acceleration to speed and time and then acceleration to force

Related to Golf Swing Force: Estimating Club Impacts Ball

1. What is golf swing force?

Golf swing force refers to the amount of energy applied to the golf club during a swing, which ultimately determines the speed and distance of the ball. It is influenced by factors such as the golfer's strength, technique, and the club's weight and design.

2. How is golf swing force estimated?

Golf swing force can be estimated by measuring the speed of the clubhead at impact using specialized equipment such as a launch monitor or by analyzing the golfer's swing using high-speed cameras. There are also mathematical models and formulas that can be used to estimate the force based on factors such as the club's weight and the golfer's swing speed.

3. Why is it important to estimate golf swing force?

Estimating golf swing force is important for golfers of all levels as it helps them understand and improve their swing. By knowing the force applied to the club, golfers can make adjustments to their technique or equipment to optimize their swing and achieve better results on the course.

4. What is the relationship between golf swing force and ball impact?

Golf swing force directly affects ball impact, as the force applied to the club at impact determines the speed and direction of the ball. The greater the force, the faster the ball will travel and the further it will go. The angle and trajectory of the club at impact also play a role in the outcome of the shot.

5. Can golf swing force be improved?

Yes, golf swing force can be improved through practice and proper technique. Strengthening the muscles used in the golf swing, such as the core, arms, and legs, can also help increase swing force. Additionally, using properly fitted clubs and regularly analyzing and adjusting one's swing can also lead to improvements in swing force.