Going to grad school but graduating in fall 2012 - my story

In summary, the individual had a strong interest in science and NASA during high school, but did not apply themselves academically. After a life-changing event, they became serious about college and double majored in math and physics. They are now considering options for grad school, including staying at their current school for math or physics, taking time off to apply in the spring, or finding a job in the meantime. They are also struggling with self-doubt in their abilities in physics and questioning if it is the right path for them. Others have suggested looking into grad programs that start in the winter semester or finding a job as a research assistant. The individual has a diverse academic background, including a master's degree in music, and is seeking
Fellowroot
When I was in high school I loved science, NASA and outer space stuff. For some reason even though I loved science, I never really applied or pushed myself academically. When I finished high school I started taking classes at my local community college.

I only took a few classes at a time and had to drop some remedial math classes. Then I had a life changing event happen to me and I decided to really take college seriously. I started making good grades and got interested in science again. I got really excited about physics and decided that I wanted to become a scientist and make a contribution to science.

I double majored in math and physics and I will be graduating in the fall of 2012. For the past few months I have been thinking about grad school and how to apply and get in. Now I realize that you are supposed to apply in the fall and NOT graduate in the fall! This is really upsetting and disappointing to me. The way my double major worked out was erratic, since it's a small university, classes don't happen when you want and you can only take was is available.

Nobody ever told me this information or guided me through this process before. I'm the first and only person in my family who is going to go to grad school. I thought I was doing a good job by trying to plan out grad school a year in advanced. Of course I could stay at my current school but here is the deal. I need to decide if I want to go for math or physics.
Option 1) \(\displaystyle Do grad school for math at current school. There are classes to take in spring.Option 2) [PHYSICS] If I do physics, I have been told that I need a class called Math Methods. For the fall I have two math classes still left and one of them conflicts with Math Methods. So I would have to take a math class at another school and transfer. The other required math classes are Abstract Algebra and Logic.

Option 3) Take off and apply to schools in spring. I could use the time to do well on the GRE. Or doing something that I've wanted to do for a while. For the last 3 summers, I've been in summer school with no breaks. I would like a break, but this would just seem to be too long.
There maybe other options. I don't know.

Has anyone ever been through something like this before? I could take a break from school, but I don't know if that's a good idea. I have decided that I want to get a PhD or at least try my heart out to get one.

Also, sometimes I worry about physics for grad school. I'm pretty confident with math and I'm pretty sure I could complete a masters in math, but the darn thing is that I had this dream of becoming a scientist. I guess I feel as if I don't do physics I won't be that scientist I thought I was going to be.

When I took Differential Equations I understood the material very well but now I'm in Classical Mechanics and I'm doing the work, but pretty darn hard to understand. Sometimes I think that I am not a confident in physics as I am in math and it leaves me to self doubt myself.

I almost want to say, I always wanted to do physics but now that I'm doing it I don't even know if I want it anymore. I know that sounds strange, but its just a weird feeling and I think the only reason why I get this feeling is because I've done only math for such a long time.

Honestly, right now I'm just tired. I almost feel as if I've given up. I've worked so hard for so many years and had to FIGHT to get this double major to work and one thing that I really don't need right now is to know that I'm graduating in the fall and not spring.

I know I wrote a whole story here, but that's the best way I can describe what's going on.\)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps some graduate schools will admit students beginning in the winter semmester. That might be worth looking into. In other cases, a potential supervisor may take you on as a research assistant for the 'down time' between finishing undergrad and the beginning of the academic year. I know several people who did this for summer jobs before entering their master's.

Something else that might help is to start thinking about what specifically you would like to do - in either field. What kinds of projects would you work on? That might help you to better decide what programs to apply to.

I don't think this is any big deal. Just graduate in the fall and start grad school the following fall, and find a job to hold you over in the mean time. That is precisely what I'm doing right now (math/physics double major graduated in December, am working in a lab on campus now until I start grad school in math in the fall).

My background (just so you know where I'm coming from when I state my advice):

Undergraduate musicology major with 6 minors in math, physics, chemistry, biology, English lit, and French (only relevant since it explains how I could just willy nilly take the MCATs a few years later ... I had all the science prep).

Diplome de 2e cycle superior (aka master's degree) in trumpet performance from CNSMDP (aka the Paris conservatory).

Came back to the states and got some professional gigs for a few years then decided professional music wasn't for me, took the MCATs and went to med school.

After a few semesters of med school, my grandfather and father both died pretty suddenly (unrelated causes), I had to take a leave of absence to take care of legal issues / medical bills / etc... for a full year (due to the course progression setup not being able to just take off a trimester). When I tried to return, I was denied loans and had no cosigner for anything. I tried for months to make things work but I couldn't get financing and I was then even farther behind in the curriculum.

So I decided to just go work but I've had some trouble (since I don't seem very reliable when HR looks at my history and sees: the longest job I've had was federal work study in college, long spans of "unemployment" aka when I was a contracted musician and didn't have W-2s, and that I have no permanent address nor motorized vehicle / insurance).

But ok, things are better and next fall I will be starting to work on my MD/PhD in biophysics (focusing in mathematical modeling of neurophysiology). Debra and I have already heard from a few schools (my fiancee who applied to grad programs in the same cities I did) and we're pretty sure we'll either be at U Michigan, U Pitt, UMBC, or U Indiana.

Here is where my advice starts: I would just graduate on your current schedule, no need to protract what you're doing as an undergrad.

So working with the assumption that you graduate in fall 2012:

What you really need to do is decide what area you want to pursue. I would take your GREs in the fall and do your applications for starting grad school in the fall of 2013. Since you said you haven't had a break in a long time, take the spring and summer of 2013 to do some fun stuff, work part-time and use your spare time on math/physics stuff ... try to work through any deficiencies you think you have before you start in the fall. Also, learn more programming during those months, it never hurts to be a little bit better.

If you go physics, most grad schools want you to have a general area of interest even if you don't know exactly what you want to do quite yet. From what a few friends of mine who went to grad school in physics have told me, you usually are expected to have a short list of profs to kinda shadow / help out in the lab starting from pretty much when you get there. Also, as far as I know (not a true physicist myself) most physics programs will have you taking a few math methods classes as a graduate student anyway so the fact that you haven't but have completed a math major, should not be that big of a deal, you might just have to be quick on the uptake if you haven't seen a few specific things before.

If you end up going math (I assume applied math), I'd spend the spring/summer brushing up on programming, and even some pure math and proof writing especially if you're expected to jump right into any of the year long surveys of analysis, topology, and algebra and pass qualifiers after your first year ... as far as I know, even applied math guys need to do those since it's the really fundamental stuff.

Anyway, that's my two cents, just graduate normal time, apply for grad schools next fall/winter like all the other applicants and then spend the extra time spring/summer polishing out deficiencies and having fun.

First of all, congratulations on your achievements thus far and for having the determination to pursue your passion for science. It is not uncommon for students to face challenges and setbacks along their academic journey, and it is important to remember that these experiences can ultimately make us stronger and more resilient.

Regarding the issue of graduating in the fall and applying to grad school, it is understandable that you may feel disappointed and frustrated. However, it is not too late to apply for graduate programs. Many universities have rolling admissions and some may even have a spring intake for certain programs. It may require some additional effort and research on your part, but it is definitely possible to still apply and potentially start a grad program in the fall of 2013.

In terms of deciding between math and physics for grad school, it is important to consider your strengths and interests. While your dream may have been to become a scientist, it is important to also consider the practical aspects of pursuing a PhD in physics. Do some research on the job market and career opportunities in both fields, and also speak with professors or professionals in each field to gain a better understanding of what the future may hold for you.

Furthermore, do not discount the value of your double major in math and physics. Having a strong foundation in both subjects can make you a well-rounded and versatile candidate for many graduate programs and career opportunities. You could also consider pursuing a PhD in a field that combines both math and physics, such as mathematical physics or theoretical physics.

Lastly, it is completely normal to experience self-doubt and fatigue after working hard for a long time. Take some time to rest and recharge, and then come back to your decision with a clear and refreshed mind. Remember, your journey is unique and there is no one right path to success. Trust in yourself and your abilities, and keep pursuing your passion for science. Best of luck to you.

Related to Going to grad school but graduating in fall 2012 - my story

What is grad school?

Grad school, short for graduate school, is a post-secondary educational program where students can earn a master's degree or a doctoral degree in a specific field of study. It typically involves more advanced coursework, research, and practical experience compared to undergraduate studies.

Why should I consider going to grad school?

Grad school can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your field of interest, making you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to specialize in a specific area and potentially increase your earning potential.

What are the requirements for graduate school?

The specific requirements for graduate school vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, you will need a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and a competitive score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or other entrance exam.

When should I apply for graduate school?

It is recommended to start researching and preparing for graduate school at least a year in advance. The application deadlines vary, but they typically fall between December and March for programs starting in the fall. It's important to check the specific deadlines for the programs you're interested in.

Can I go to grad school if I graduate in fall 2012?

Yes, you can still apply and potentially attend grad school in the fall of 2012. Many programs have rolling admissions, meaning they accept applications throughout the year. However, it's important to note that some programs may have specific start dates and deadlines, so it's best to research and plan accordingly. Additionally, make sure to communicate your graduation date to the admissions office of the program you're interested in to ensure they can accommodate your timeline.