Going back for a masters, or is work experience just as good

In summary, my friend decided that his education and work experience were better spent managing large software projects, and left his company to do just that.
PCJJSBS
I am just looking for some opinions. I have been considering going to get my masters in Material Science (I have a B.S. in physics). I currently have a great job in the field, and it teaches me a ton. When getting my masters, I would keep the job, and they would even pay for a lot of it. I can't help but wonder if my time would be better spent keeping my focus strictly on my job.
Is work experience like this more valuable than a masters degree? I am great at self study, so there is no reason I can't just get some textbooks and study more myself for much less.
I plan to stay at my current company for quite a long time, unless some sort of amazing opportunity pops up.

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is always hard to say. In general, a masters degree can add a couple of thousand per year to your paycheck in the US if the company values it. Since your company is covering the costs then I’d say go for it. I’m sure they will look more kindly on your skills and your paycheck will show it.

Should decide to move to a new job the masters can put you in a higher class than other candidates and make you the better choic and of course they should compensate you perhaps about 20% salary increase to cover the transfer to a ne job and the lost vacation time since it’ll get reset back to two weeks. They have to sweeten it enough that you will seriously consider jumping too as your company may try to give you a raise to keep you. ( this keeping part only works well the first time you do it per company )

Self study while a valuable skill is not very tangible, a masters degree from an accredited school is.

PCJJSBS said:
I am just looking for some opinions. I have been considering going to get my masters in Material Science (I have a B.S. in physics). I currently have a great job in the field, and it teaches me a ton. When getting my masters, I would keep the job, and they would even pay for a lot of it. I can't help but wonder if my time would be better spent keeping my focus strictly on my job.
Is work experience like this more valuable than a masters degree? I am great at self study, so there is no reason I can't just get some textbooks and study more myself for much less.
I plan to stay at my current company for quite a long time, unless some sort of amazing opportunity pops up.

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks.
<<Emphasis added>> If you knew for sure you were planning to stay at your current company, and if it has a sustained supportive environment, then you can advance through experience, without an additional degree. But that's two big "ifs". I don't know how big your company is, but the culture of any company, regardless of size, can change precipitously in a short period of time: mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, or a new CEO can change the culture drastically ... or the company could suddenly go poof (don't know whether you're old enough to have gone through the 2000 - 2001 Internet Bubble Burst). If the company is willing to pay for a good chunk of the costs, it obviously values an advanced degree ... which is good for your career should you stay with the company. And should you leave (for whatever reason), the advanced degree is a portable credential which is good for your career at another company.

This is not something that anyone else can answer for you. The right choice depends upon what your goals are, and only you can really evaluate that. Ask yourself why you are considering this, and that should start you on the right path.

PCJJSBS said:
I currently have a great job in the field, and it teaches me a ton. When getting my masters, I would keep the job, and they would even pay for a lot of it.
PCJJSBS said:
What is your motivation for wanting to study more Material Science? Do you use that a lot at your job? If so, then the extra education is directly applicable to your work and your progression into more valuable positions there. If not, would you just be taking those classes because you find them interesting?

A good friend of mine that I worked with for many years had a BSEE, and decided he wanted to work on and manage large software projects instead of the EE work he was doing. He got a Master's degree in CS while still working full time (our company paid for most of it), and then he did move on to a management position for large projects. I think the experience worked out well for him (well, except for the part where you have to work full time and take classes in the evenings and online -- ouch).

berkeman said:
What is your motivation for wanting to study more Material Science? Do you use that a lot at your job? If so, then the extra education is directly applicable to your work and your progression into more valuable positions there. If not, would you just be taking those classes because you find them interesting?

My job is directly related to Material Science. It was my 'focus' area during my physics undergrad degree, but that was just a few extra classes on the subject. I am pretty much the only one in my group at work without a graduate degree, and I just feel much farther behind knowledge wise.

PCJJSBS said:
My job is directly related to Material Science. It was my 'focus' area during my physics undergrad degree, but that was just a few extra classes on the subject. I am pretty much the only one in my group at work without a graduate degree, and I just feel much farther behind knowledge wise.
<<Emphasis added>> Given that (a) you previously stated that you see a long-term stint at your present company (with the usual caveat about exceptional circumstances) and (b) the company is willing to foot a good chunk of the bill, doesn't the highlighted statement pretty much nail the decision for you? That is, unless the time you spend on your masters can be spent on some other activity that offers greater value to you (and that's only something you can decide).

Likes berkeman

1. Is it worth going back for a masters degree or is work experience just as valuable?

This is a common question and the answer depends on your career goals and industry. A masters degree can provide specialized knowledge and skills that may make you more competitive in the job market, while work experience can demonstrate your practical abilities and may be more relevant for certain fields. It's important to research the requirements and expectations of your desired career path before making a decision.

2. Will a masters degree increase my earning potential?

In general, individuals with a masters degree tend to have higher salaries than those with only a bachelor's degree. However, the actual increase in earning potential will vary depending on factors such as your field of study, location, and job market demand. It's important to consider the cost of the degree and weigh it against the potential salary increase.

3. Can work experience be substituted for a masters degree?

In some cases, yes. Some employers may value work experience over a higher degree, especially if it is in a relevant field and shows a strong track record of success. However, there may be certain positions or industries that require a specific level of education, so it's important to research the job market and requirements for your desired career path.

4. How will a masters degree benefit my career?

A masters degree can provide a variety of benefits for your career, including specialized knowledge and skills, increased job opportunities, potential for promotion, and higher earning potential. It can also help you stand out among other candidates in a competitive job market and may open doors to new networking opportunities.

5. Can I work while pursuing a masters degree?

Many students do work while pursuing a masters degree, whether it be part-time or full-time. However, it's important to consider the demands of the program and your personal time management skills. Some programs may have more flexibility for working students, while others may require a full-time commitment. It's important to research the program and speak with advisors to determine if it is feasible to work while pursuing a masters degree.