Going back after a 3 year break

• Other
  • Thread starter GhostLoveScore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break Year
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's recent job and return to college to finish their physics studies. They are seeking advice on balancing work and school, as well as recommendations for books on mathematics and classical mechanics. The suggestion to read up on lower division material and use old books or the school's library is given. The speaker also shares their experience of working on weekends and going to school during the week, with the challenge of flipping their sleep schedule. The book recommendations include Kreyznig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics and Boas's Mathematical Methods.
GhostLoveScore
I recently got decent job and that allowed me to go back to college and finish my physics studies. I stopped half way into a bachelor degree. I admit I forgot half of what I knew 3 years ago when I took a break. So, do you have any advice on how to do parallel work/college thing? If you have some good books mostly on mathematics - integrals, Fourier transform, differential equations. And some books in classical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can get a hold of Boas's Mathematical Methods, that would probably be sufficient to refresh your memory on the mathematics you haven't used in a while.

Likes GhostLoveScore
I went back after 10 years. I just took the lower division physics over pretty much. I'm sure you don't want to do that. I'd say whatever classes you're taking read up on the lower division stuff that you're supposed to know already. Use your old books if you still have, if not just go to the school's library, they should have some old editions.

I work on the weekends and go to school during the week. Although I work 12 hour night shifts so the pay is good, flipping my sleep schedule every week is a nightmare though.

For math stuff I like Kreyznig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics, it's a very good reference I've found. Boas is also good as the person before me said.

Likes GhostLoveScore

Related to Going back after a 3 year break

1. What are the benefits of going back to work after a 3 year break?

Going back to work after a 3 year break can have several benefits, including regaining professional skills and knowledge, reconnecting with colleagues and networking opportunities, and financial stability and career advancement.

2. How do I explain the gap in my work history during an interview?

Be honest and transparent about your reasons for taking a break, whether it was for personal reasons, to pursue further education, or to care for a family member. Highlight any relevant skills or experiences gained during the break and emphasize your motivation to return to work.

3. Is it important to update my skills before going back to work?

Yes, it is important to update your skills before returning to work. Technology and industry standards may have changed during your break, so it is crucial to stay current and competitive in the job market. Consider taking online courses, attending workshops, or volunteering to gain new skills and knowledge.

4. How should I prepare for my first day back at work?

It is normal to feel nervous or anxious about returning to work after a break. To prepare for your first day back, review any notes or materials from your previous job, familiarize yourself with any new policies or procedures, and reach out to your colleagues or supervisor for support and guidance. Also, make sure to get enough rest and have a positive mindset.

5. What can I do to make the transition back to work smoother?

To make the transition back to work smoother, try to ease back into your routine gradually. Set realistic expectations for yourself and communicate with your supervisor about any concerns or adjustments you may need. Additionally, maintain a healthy work-life balance and prioritize self-care to prevent burnout.