Gödel's Incompleteness TheoremsWhat is the limit of mathematical knowledge?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that shows the cardinality of set K is less than the cardinality of the set of functions with domain K. It involves creating a function from the power set of K to the set of functions from K to \{0,1\} and showing that this set is a proper subset of the set of all functions with domain K. This implies that there cannot be a bijection from K to the set of functions with domain K, as it would lead to a contradiction. A clever trick involving the power set and the set of functions with codomain \{0,1\} is used to prove this.
bobby2k

Homework Statement

Let K be any set and let F* be the set of all functions with domain K. Prove that card K < card F*.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am first able to show that card K <= card F*, by creating an invertible function from K into F*.
let f: K -> F*
be defined so that if k is an element of K, then f(k) = {(i,k): i is an element of K}.
Basically we create a function with function value of k in all points.

But this only shows <= , I am not sure of to prove <. Then I think I must assume that there is a bijection, but that this leads to a contradiction. How do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobby2k said:

Homework Statement

Let K be any set and let F* be the set of all functions with domain K. Prove that card K < card F*.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am first able to show that card K <= card F*, by creating an invertible function from K into F*.
let f: K -> F*
be defined so that if k is an element of K, then f(k) = {(i,k): i is an element of K}.
Basically we create a function with function value of k in all points.

But this only shows <= , I am not sure of to prove <. Then I think I must assume that there is a bijection, but that this leads to a contradiction. How do I do that?

You don't need to use a proof by contradiction.

Show that there exists a bijection from the power set of [itex]K[/itex] to the set of functions from [itex]K[/itex] to [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex]. This set is a proper subset of [itex]F^{*}[/itex], since the codomain of a function in [itex]F^{*}[/itex] can be any non-empty set.

Why does this imply that there is no bijection from [itex]K[/itex] to [itex]F^{*}[/itex]?

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
You don't need to use a proof by contradiction.

Show that there exists a bijection from the power set of [itex]K[/itex] to the set of functions from [itex]K[/itex] to [itex]\{0,1\}[/itex]. This set is a proper subset of [itex]F^{*}[/itex], since the codomain of a function in [itex]F^{*}[/itex] can be any non-empty set.

Why does this imply that there is no bijection from [itex]K[/itex] to [itex]F^{*}[/itex]?
Ok, I'll try, I was not able to find an bijection from P(K) to the functions, but an injection, but I think it still works.

Lemma: card (P(K)) <= card L
L is the set of functions with codomain {0,1}, and domain K.
Define F2: P(K)-> L
F2(K') = {(i,j) : i is an element of K: j = 1 if i is an element of K', else j = 0}
K' is a subset of K.
F2 gives a function which has domain K, and this new function is 1 only if it is evaluated in K'.
it is must be invertible because if F2(K')=F2(K''), then K'=K''.Now we have that:

Card K < Card(P(K)) <= card(L) <= card(F*), since L is a subset of F*.
We can't have a bijection from K to F*, because then we could create an injection from P(K) to K, which is impossible.

Out of curiosity, how would you make the F2 function also surjective?

EDIT:
Haha, I see that the function I defined is actually surjective. Thanks for the help, it was a very smart trick!

Last edited:

Related to Gödel's Incompleteness TheoremsWhat is the limit of mathematical knowledge?

What is the definition of bijection cardinality?

Bijection cardinality, also known as "bijective counting", is a method used in set theory to compare the size of two sets. It involves finding a one-to-one correspondence, or bijection, between the elements of two sets in order to determine if they have the same number of elements.

How is bijection cardinality different from other methods of counting?

Bijection cardinality is different from other methods of counting, such as counting the elements in a set or using cardinality to compare the size of two sets, because it focuses on finding a bijective function between the two sets. This means that each element in one set corresponds to exactly one element in the other set, ensuring that the two sets have the same number of elements.

What is the significance of bijection cardinality in mathematics?

Bijection cardinality is significant in mathematics because it provides a rigorous way to compare the size of two sets and determine if they are equivalent. This is important in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, combinatorics, and abstract algebra.

Can bijection cardinality be used with infinite sets?

Yes, bijection cardinality can be used with infinite sets. In fact, it is one of the main methods used to compare the size of infinite sets. This is because the concept of a one-to-one correspondence can still be applied to infinite sets, allowing us to determine if they have the same number of elements.

Are there any limitations to using bijection cardinality?

There are a few limitations to using bijection cardinality. First, it can only be used to compare the size of two sets, not to actually count the elements in a set. Second, it can only be used with sets that can be put in one-to-one correspondence with each other. Finally, it does not take into account the order or structure of the elements in a set, only the number of elements.