Gödel Numbering - Exercise 3.2.5 - Chiswell and Hodges

In summary, the conversation revolves around Exercise 3.2.5 in Chapter 3 of the book Mathematical Logic by Ian Chiswell and Wilfred Hodges. The problem involves reconstructing the formula of the Gödel number, with p_0 (13), p_1 (15), and \neg p_1 ( 2^{15} \times 3^9 ) all being involved in the solution. The attached image shows the correct tree decomposition for the problem.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book Mathematical Logic by Ian Chiswell and Wilfred Hodges ... and am currently focused on Chapter 3: Propositional Logic ...

I need help with Exercise 3.2.5 which reads as follows:View attachment 5026Can someone please help me with reconstructing the formula of the Gödel number that is given ...

Thoughts ... it seems that \(\displaystyle p_1\) (15) is involved ... and indeed also \(\displaystyle \neg p_1\) ( \(\displaystyle 2^{15} \times 3^9\) )

It also seems that \(\displaystyle p_0\) (13) is involved ...

... ... BUT ... where to from here ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Peter!

Your intuition

Peter said:
Thoughts ... it seems that \(\displaystyle p_1\) (15) is involved ... and indeed also \(\displaystyle \neg p_1\) ( \(\displaystyle 2^{15} \times 3^9\) )

It also seems that \(\displaystyle p_0\) (13) is involved ...

Peter

is correct: \(\displaystyle p_{0}\), \(\displaystyle p_{1}\), and \(\displaystyle \neg p_{1}\) are all involved for precisely the reasons you provided. You're clearly thinking about this correctly and you're very close to solving the problem, so I don't want my initial post to give away the answer. What I have attached is what the tree should look like once it's fully decomposed (c.f. (3.10) on page 35 of the text you're studying), and am hoping you'll see how to place all of the pieces correctly.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

View attachment 5027

Attachments

• MHB Godel Diagram Peter Help.pdf
    1.8 KB · Views: 63

Related to Gödel Numbering - Exercise 3.2.5 - Chiswell and Hodges

1. What is Gödel Numbering?

Gödel Numbering is a method developed by mathematician Kurt Gödel to assign a unique number to each symbol, word, or sentence in a formal language. This allows for mathematical expressions to be represented as numbers, making them easier to manipulate and analyze.

2. How is Gödel Numbering used in Exercise 3.2.5 of Chiswell and Hodges?

In Exercise 3.2.5, Gödel Numbering is used as a way to encode formulas in the formal language of propositional logic. This allows for the creation of a recursive function that can determine the truth value of any formula based on its Gödel Number.

3. What is the importance of Gödel Numbering in mathematics?

Gödel Numbering is important in mathematics because it provides a way to represent and manipulate complex mathematical expressions in a more efficient and systematic manner. It also has applications in computer science and logic, allowing for the creation of computer programs that can reason about mathematical statements.

4. How does Gödel Numbering relate to Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems?

Gödel Numbering is a key component in Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems, which state that in any consistent formal system, there are true statements that cannot be proven within that system. Gödel Numbering allows for the creation of self-referential sentences and the proof of the incompleteness of formal systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to Gödel Numbering?

One limitation of Gödel Numbering is that it can only be applied to formal languages that have a finite set of symbols. It also does not work for languages that have an infinite number of symbols, such as natural languages. Additionally, the process of Gödel Numbering can be complex and time-consuming for more complex mathematical expressions.