Global max/min (multivariable)

In summary, the global maximum and global minimum of f(x, y)=x^3+y^2 are found at (1, 0) and (-1, 0), respectively.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Find the global maximum and global minimum of
[tex]f(x, y)=x^3+y^2[/tex]
in the half disk [tex]x^2+y^2\leq{1}, y\geq{0}[/tex]

This is a rather new topic for me, so I am looking for clarification for problems such as these.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I determined the critical points of the function.
[tex]\nabla{f(x, y)=3x^2i+2yj}[/tex] and thus has a critical point at
[tex](x, y)=(0, 0)[/tex]

Next, we will consider along the boundary of the half disk. Since the disk is a half circle, I must include the endpoints x=1, x=-1.

We have,
[tex]x=cost, y=sint, (0, \pi{)}[/tex]
We have,
[tex]f(cost, sint)=cos^3t+sin^2t=g(t)[/tex]
Moreover,
[tex]-3cos^2tsint+2sintcost=0\rightarrow{cost=2/3}[/tex]
[tex]g(cos^{-1}2/3)=0.852[/tex]
Next, checking the boundaries at t=0 and t=π
g(0)=1, g(π)=-1

Therefore, f has a global max at the boundary on the half disk of 1 at (1, 0) and a global min of -1 at (-1, 0).

However, I executed two of the tests for determining if critical points are max/mins for the point (0. 0) however all the tests were inconclusive. What else can be done here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You checked along the boundary, x2 + y2 = 1, but to be thorough, you should also check along the boundary, y = 0 .

Regarding (0,0): Are the second derivatives of f defined at (0,0) ?

Okay, not entirely sure how to show work for checking along y=0. Moreover, I believe the second derivatives are defined at (0, 0), and if they are not, I don't see why considering it's a cubic and square function.

Hi sandy.bridge! :smile:

sandy.bridge said:
Okay, not entirely sure how to show work for checking along y=0. Moreover, I believe the second derivatives are defined at (0, 0), and if they are not, I don't see why considering it's a cubic and square function.

In (0,0) you'll find that the Hessian 2nd derivative test is inconclusive.
What else can be done?
Well, since there are no other extrema nearby, simply check a few points around (0,0).
Since it's already likely that it is a saddle point, you can verify this by finding a positive and negative value near (0,0).

As for checking along y=0.
What about [itex]x=t, y=0[/itex]?
In particular you will find that (0,0) is a saddle point.

Hello!
Okay, moving the left of the origin along the x-axis, we have
[tex]f(-.1, 0)=(-.1)^3[/tex]
and ro the right
[tex]f(.1, 0)=0.1^3[/tex]
therefore, this illuminates the fact this is a saddle point.
As for your suggestion of x=t, how can this be done? Is "t" not denoting the angle measurement with respect to the positive x-axis?

Good!

"t" can be anything you want. It's just an arbitrary parameter with an arbitrary range.
You could also use simply (x,0) where x is the parameter running from -1 to +1.

Alright, then the global max occurs when x=1, or t=0(angle). Also, the min occurs when x=-1 (t=pi).
max(x, y)=(1, 0)
min(x ,y)=(-1, 0)

And... we're done! :cool:

Related to Global max/min (multivariable)

1. What is global max/min in multivariable calculus?

Global max/min refers to the maximum or minimum value of a function over its entire domain in multivariable calculus. This means considering all possible inputs (variables) and finding the highest or lowest output of the function.

2. How is global max/min different from local max/min?

Local max/min refers to the maximum or minimum value of a function within a specific region of its domain, while global max/min considers the entire domain of the function. This means that a local max/min may not necessarily be the global max/min.

3. Can a function have more than one global max/min?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have more than one global max/min. This can occur when the function has multiple peaks or valleys within its domain, each of which can be considered a global max/min.

4. How is the global max/min of a multivariable function calculated?

The global max/min of a multivariable function is typically found by taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the variables. The resulting values are then plugged back into the original function to find the corresponding global max/min.

5. Why is finding the global max/min important in multivariable calculus?

Finding the global max/min is important because it allows us to determine the overall behavior of a function and identify the most extreme points. This information can be useful in many applications, such as optimization problems in economics or physics.