Giving up on Engineering major, struggling in math

In summary, Trig was more difficult for the author than calculus, but they persisted and eventually became better at calculus. If you are struggling with math, I would recommend taking a remedial course or trying to find a less difficult subject.
CrossFit415
I haven't reached Calculus yet and I'm already scoring low on Trig exams. I think I may have to reconsider my options of becoming an engineer. Well the majority of my errors come from careless mistakes and even when I'm careful I make little errors which accumulates. I like the idea of becoming an electrical or maybe computer engineer but I lack math skills. I've struggle on math courses throughout my life, I can calculate fast and it gets easier to solve problems when I practice however it never ends, there's always going to be more math. Plus learning new materials takes time for me then I end up behind and frustrated. I really want to become an engineer. Should I quit and major in something in the technology field? My interests are in the field of computers, electricity, space, airplanes and vehicles. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CrossFit415 said:
I haven't reached Calculus yet and I'm already scoring low on Trig exams. I think I may have to reconsider my options of becoming an engineer. Well the majority of my errors come from careless mistakes and even when I'm careful I make little errors which accumulates. I like the idea of becoming an electrical or maybe computer engineer but I lack math skills. I've struggle on math courses throughout my life, I can calculate fast and it gets easier to solve problems when I practice however it never ends, there's always going to be more math. Plus learning new materials takes time for me then I end up behind and frustrated. I really want to become an engineer. Should I quit and major in something in the technology field? My interests are in the field of computers, electricity, space, airplanes and vehicles. Thanks.

Depends. If you love math, you should do fine in engineering/CS. If you hate math, I would avoid these fields. Have you considered computer technician?

What? How can you already suck at math? Just more repetitions man. Like literally do 4+ hours of practice every day for your math class. Go back to the fundamentals if you have to. JUST DO IT! It's not even a matter of you sucking cause anybody can improve on math.

You could just be rushing. Don't rush and go slow. Review your work. Logically think about the steps.

kramer733 said:
What? How can you already suck at math? Just more repetitions man. Like literally do 4+ hours of practice every day for your math class. Go back to the fundamentals if you have to. JUST DO IT! It's not even a matter of you sucking cause anybody can improve on math.

You could just be rushing. Don't rush and go slow. Review your work. Logically think about the steps.

Thanks man! Just what I needed some words of encouragement. I think I'm going to literally just stick to it and study straight hours! I don't like quitting doesn't get you anywhere, I might regret stuff when I hit a certain age if I just decide to quit now. Eventually I'll grow to love math anyway! Love, sweat, blood and tears! No pain no gain wooo! I'm going all balls out!

If it makes you feel any better CrossFit415 --trig was much more difficult for me to learn than calculus. ]= I'm actually thinking about taking a trig course again next semester along with calculus III as a refresher and for mastery. Calculus is just mindbending fun :biggrin:

While it is not true that everyone has the exact same aptitude for some subjects, it is true that anyone can excel at virtually any subject. I, for instance, have dysgraphia. This limits my ability to understand symbols simply, but I have compensated with other abilities to adapt to learning math. It is incredibly hard and takes an enormous extra effort, but what is work if you don't love doing it. Most likely, if you don't want to do something it is because you do not love it. Who can argue with that? That fact is, those who want to do something will simply find a way.

If you love physics then there is a necessity for quantifying geometric conditions explainable by calculus. If you want to avoid this, it is possible to do so as an amateur. However, I feel for your detest of the matter and recognize that a great deal of analytical minutia is complicated by the discipline. I am sure you are not in the market for redefining the subsequent rules of algebra necessary for re-orienting the polarity problems facing mathematicians in the field. After all, every discipline has its paradoxes. Who knows, maybe you will make it easier for everyone.

Trig almost made me quit engineering! I'm glad I stuck with it though, Calculus was way easier for me. I've also been tempted to go back and retake Trig, but when flipping through my old text I think I have acquired all the knowledge during the Calculus series that I didn't pick up during Trig.

gb7nash said:
Depends. If you love math, you should do fine in engineering/CS. If you hate math, I would avoid these fields. Have you considered computer technician?

Personally, I think all those that state in finite terms, something along the lines of "If you are not good at math you should not become an engineer" are really providing a disservice to aspiring engineers. Can one obtain a degree in engineering without being a mathematics superstar? YES. Will they be as good as an engineer? That is subjective, and it depends on the position and type of work the person is performing. Not ALL engineering positions involve the use of mathematics. Is mathematical savvy a benefit? Sure. Is it always necessary? Not in my opinion.

Perhaps, similar to other posts, words of encouragement should be the preferred route.

niehaoma said:
Personally, I think all those that state in finite terms, something along the lines of "If you are not good at math you should not become an engineer" are really providing a disservice to aspiring engineers.

I can see what you're saying. I should probably elaborate.

I said nothing about not being good at math. I believe as you do. I was saying that if you don't like math, engineer would probably not be a good job choice. If you don't like math, there's a pretty good chance you'll hate your job, unless you land an engineering position that doesn't require much math.

Judging from the OP's posts, I'd guess that he likes math. If that's the case, he can always improve his math skills.

Thanks for elaborating. I used your post as an example, as I have seen other similar posts. Again, I was also only offering my opinion. I know, during my B.S., I did not "like" math, however, I loved the engineering. I got a degree, and have done well. However, having said that, I believe my problem was not being able to really appreciate the applicability of mathematics [hard to imagine] to particular disciplines/problems. It really is not that hard to imagine though, just ask a few SW engineers, or HW engineers, how much math they use. Probably not that much. But ... I believe if you really want to work more along the lines of a research scientist, or similar, one had better be well versed in mathematics, because one will need to quantize everything. Is isn't possible to submit a solution or design idea for a proposal on the grounds of "Well, my idea is ideal, well, because I think so." ;)

To the OP, hopefully as you progress, you will see the bigger picture, and how pertinent the math is to solve the engineering problems, which hopefully, your desire and interest in will bring the mathematics along for the ride. Cheers!

gb7nash said:
I said nothing about not being good at math. I believe as you do. I was saying that if you don't like math, engineer would probably not be a good job choice. If you don't like math, there's a pretty good chance you'll hate your job, unless you land an engineering position that doesn't require much math.

It depends on what you define as math. The math that engineers practice isn't really that heavy when compared to the mathematician and the physicist. If you define math as anything with equations than sure there's lots of math, but if you define it as rigorous math proof or derivation or even modeling based math than its relatively light.

CrossFit415 said:
Eventually I'll grow to love math anyway!
That is the right attitude. If you live up to your name, CrossFit415, you should know the meaning of perseverance despite discomfort in order to grain greater rewards at the end. Just like physical challenge, once you are past that threshold, it all becomes much more enjoyable.

Related to Giving up on Engineering major, struggling in math

1. Why are you struggling in math as an engineering major?

Engineering is a highly math-intensive field, and it can be challenging for many students. It is important to note that struggling in math does not mean you are not cut out for engineering. It may simply mean that you need to put in extra effort and seek additional resources to improve your math skills.

2. Is it normal to consider giving up on an engineering major?

Many students struggle with their engineering major at some point. It is a rigorous and demanding field, and it is natural to feel overwhelmed at times. However, it is important to evaluate your reasons for wanting to give up and seek guidance before making a decision.

3. What resources are available to help with math in an engineering major?

Most universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and academic support centers for students struggling in math. It is also helpful to reach out to your professors, teaching assistants, or classmates for additional help and clarification. Online resources, such as instructional videos and practice problems, can also be useful.

4. Should I switch to a different major if I am struggling in math as an engineering major?

Switching majors is a personal decision and should not be taken lightly. It is important to consider your long-term career goals and whether you are truly passionate about engineering. It may also be beneficial to speak with an academic advisor or career counselor for guidance.

5. How can I stay motivated and overcome struggling in math as an engineering major?

It is important to stay motivated and have a positive mindset when faced with challenges. Set realistic goals and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable tasks. Seek help when needed and remember to take breaks and practice self-care. Remind yourself of your passion for engineering and the potential opportunities that come with a degree in this field.