Given velocity of a transverse wave, need to find w and k. Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse wave traveling along a string at a velocity of 8.8 m/s, with the equation y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx). The wave is moving to the left and has an amplitude of 2 mm. The numerical values of A, w, and k are given in terms of millimeters, radians per second, and radians per meter respectively. The three smallest nonnegative possibilities for the time at which the snapshot was taken are 1.1 ms, 5.68 ms, and 10.2 ms.
Jen C

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a snapshot of a transverse wave traveling along a string at 8.8 m/s. The equation for the wave is y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx).

(a) Is the wave moving to the right or to the left?
To the left

(b) What are the numerical values of A, w, and k?
A 2 mm,
w rad/s
k rad/m

(c) At what times could this snapshot have been taken? (Give the three smallest nonnegative possibilities in order.)
ms ms ms

Homework Equations

Kx=n * pi

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the amplitude to be 2mm but I am not really sure where to go from their. I tried solving for w with the velocity but it doesn't give you frequency or wave length. Please help I am lost!

Sorry I just attached a picture of the graph

Attachments

• Question for physics forum.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey i can't see the picture>?

For part (b), I found k first. Then used that to find w.

k=2pi/wavelength

then

w=kv (v given in word problem)

If you or anyone has insight about part (c), that's where I'm at. (I actually got 2 and 3, but 1 is coming back incorrect for me.)

I am not sure how to get the wave length. I found the amplitude to be 2mm but I am not sure how to solve from their

When I look for wavelength, I'm a peak-to-peak kind of guy. Just read the x-axis and see how far apart they are. Looks around .04m.

For any physics masters out there, this is what I've tried for part C:

Part C: (c) At what times could this snapshot have been taken? (Give the three smallest nonnegative possibilities in order.)

y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx)

1. took an (x,y) coordinate from graph (peak 1): (0.03m, 0.002m)
2. plugged into equation along with values found in part B, and solved for t at each cycle
y(x, t) = A cos (wt + kx)
0.002m = 0.002m cos ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
1 = cos ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))

Point 1:
2pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
t=1.4ms

Point 2:
4pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
t=5.68ms

Point 3:
6pi = ((1382 rad/s)(t) + (157 rad/m)(0.03m))
t=10.2ms

Points 2 and 3 give me a correct answer. Point 1, incorrect. I've tried rounding differently and such. But it's just not happening. Anyone see any error in my logic/work?

Your answer for 1 is correct you just had one more decimal place than needed when i calculated it with your equation I came up with 1.1 and that's the correct answer

Related to Given velocity of a transverse wave, need to find w and k. Please help

1. How do I find the velocity of a transverse wave?

To find the velocity of a transverse wave, you will need to know the wavelength (λ) and the frequency (f) of the wave. The velocity (v) can then be calculated using the formula v = λf.

2. What is w in the context of transverse waves?

In the context of transverse waves, w refers to the angular frequency. It is a measure of how quickly the wave oscillates and is represented by the symbol ω.

3. How do I calculate the angular frequency of a transverse wave?

The angular frequency (ω) can be calculated using the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of the wave.

4. What does k represent in the equation for a transverse wave?

In the equation for a transverse wave, k represents the wave number. It is a measure of how many wavelengths are present in a given distance and is calculated using the formula k = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength.

5. Can I use the velocity of a transverse wave to find the wavelength?

Yes, you can use the velocity (v) and the frequency (f) of a transverse wave to find the wavelength (λ) using the formula λ = v/f.