Transverse Velocity of Wave, given position & time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a transverse sine wave traveling in the positive x direction. The general equation for the position of a particle on the wave is given, and the individual is asked to find the transverse velocity at a specific point and time. After receiving a response and further clarification, it is determined that the phase constant is zero and the incorrect answer given was likely due to rounding errors.
Ryaners
Can't see where I'm going wrong here - would greatly appreciate if anyone can point it out!

I've gotten the other parts of the question right, so I know that:
ω = 125.66 rad/s
A = 2.50 * 10-3m
k = 3.49 rad/m
The wave is moving in the +x direction.

The general equation for the position of a particle on the wave is:
y(x,t) = Acos(kx - ωt)

So this means (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the transverse velocity of a particle on the wave is:
Vy(x,t) = ωAsin(kx - ωt) = (125.66)((2.50 * 10-3m)sin(3.49x - 125.66t)

I'm asked to find Vy at x = 1.35m, t = 0.0625s.
For this I got 2.07*10-4m/s, but I'm told this is incorrect. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Check to see if you have the overall correct sign for your answer.

The most general equation for a harmonic wave traveling in the positive x direction is y = Acos(kx-ωt+φ) where φ is a phase constant. Do you know if you are supposed to assume that the phase constant is zero in this problem? It's always a good idea to state the problem word-for-word so that we can be sure that we have all of the information.

Thanks for the response TSny. Here's the full text of the question:

"A transverse sine wave with an amplitude of
2.50 mm and a wavelength of 1.80 m travels from left to right along a long, horizontal stretched string with a speed of 36.0 m/s. Take the origin at the left end of the undisturbed string. At time t=0 the left end of the string has its maximum upward displacement."

I had to 'give up' on the question & the answer given was v = 0m/s - I could then see that the part of the question immediately before - which asked for the displacement of a particle at the same position & time - was exactly equal to the amplitude, so I probably should have realized that the velocity should be 0 there. I'm still puzzled as to why my calculation didn't give that answer though - rounding error, I suppose?

OK. The information given in the problem implies that the phase constant φ is zero. So, you have the correct mathematical form for the wave. Yes, I think your answer differs from zero due to round-off error. Try working the problem by expressing k and ω in terms of ##\pi##. Then when you evaluate the argument of the cosine function for the specific values of x and t given, you can get the argument in terms of ##\pi##.

Anyway, your method was correct. :smile:

Likes Ryaners
Thank you :) I'll give that a go when I've gotten through all of my other assignments...

Related to Transverse Velocity of Wave, given position & time

1. What is the transverse velocity of a wave?

The transverse velocity of a wave is the speed at which a point on the wave moves perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the wave travels forward while the particles move up and down or side to side.

2. How is the transverse velocity of a wave calculated?

The transverse velocity of a wave is calculated by dividing the distance a point on the wave has moved perpendicular to the direction of propagation by the time it took to move that distance.

3. What factors affect the transverse velocity of a wave?

The transverse velocity of a wave can be affected by the medium through which it is traveling, the frequency of the wave, and the amplitude of the wave. The density and elasticity of the medium can also play a role in determining the transverse velocity.

4. Can the transverse velocity of a wave change over time?

Yes, the transverse velocity of a wave can change over time. It can change due to changes in the properties of the medium or as a result of interference with other waves. It can also change if the frequency or amplitude of the wave changes.

5. How is the transverse velocity of a wave related to its wavelength?

The transverse velocity of a wave is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the transverse velocity also increases. Similarly, as the wavelength decreases, the transverse velocity decreases.