Given vectors how to find third equation

• Thread starter mill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the magnitude of 2v-w can be found by taking the square root of the dot product of 2v-w with itself.
mill

Homework Statement

If |v|=4, |w|=3 and the angle between and is pi/3, find |2v −w|

Homework Equations

##cosθ=\frac {v dot w} {|v||w|} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## 6= v dot w ##

This is as far as I got. How would I find the separate values of v and w for the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

If |v|=4, |w|=3 and the angle between and is pi/3, find |2v −w|

Homework Equations

##cosθ=\frac {v dot w} {|v||w|} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## 6= v dot w ##

This is as far as I got. How would I find the separate values of v and w for the equation?

Very good! How is the absolute value of a vector defined with dot product by itself?
You do not need to know the individual vectors. You need the absolute value of 2v-w.

ehild

ehild said:
Very good! How is the absolute value of a vector defined with dot product by itself?
You do not need to know the individual vectors. You need the absolute value of 2v-w.

ehild

u dot u = ##|u|^2## so |u|= ##\sqrt {u dot u} ## ?

Possibly, that becomes |2v-w|=sqrt(something?) or would |?|(1/2)=|2v-w|

I'm afraid I don't see how things are connecting to the third equation though.

1/2 = (something analogous to u dot v)/|2v-w|?

Last edited:
mill said:
u dot u = ##|u|^2## so |u|= ##\sqrt {u dot u} ## ?
Start from that definition. What then is ##\sqrt{(2v-w) \cdot (2v-w)}##?

Got it, thanks.

Related to Given vectors how to find third equation

1. How do I find the third equation when given two vectors?

To find the third equation, you will need to use the vector cross product. Take the cross product of the two given vectors to get a third vector. Then, set the components of this third vector equal to a new variable, say "c". This variable, along with the original two vectors, will form the third equation.

2. What is the formula for finding the third equation using vector cross product?

The formula for finding the third equation is:
c = a x b
where c is the third vector, a and b are the given vectors, and x represents the cross product operation.

3. Can I use the dot product instead of the cross product to find the third equation?

No, the dot product only gives a scalar value, while the third equation requires a vector. Therefore, the cross product must be used to find the third equation.

4. Are there any special cases in which the cross product cannot be used to find the third equation?

Yes, the cross product can only be used if the given vectors are in 3-dimensional space. If the vectors are in 2-dimensional space, then the third equation cannot be found using the cross product method.

5. Is there a visual representation or geometric interpretation of finding the third equation?

Yes, the third vector obtained from the cross product can be thought of as the normal vector to the plane formed by the original two vectors. This normal vector is perpendicular to both vectors and can be used to find the third equation of the plane.