Given value of a line integral, find line integral along different curves

In summary, the conversation discusses using a given value of a line integral to evaluate line integrals along different curves. The equations and curves involved are listed and it is noted that the direction and starting points may differ. The person asking for help wonders if their answers are correct and the other person confirms their understanding.
SithsNGiggles
Given value of a line integral, find line integral along "different" curves

Homework Statement

I think I've got this figured out, so I'm just checking my answers:

Suppose that

[itex] \int_\gamma \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r} = 17 [/itex],
where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the oriented curve [itex]\vec{r}(t) = \cos{t} \vec{i} + \sin{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2 [/itex].

Use this to evaluate the line integrals in 1-3.

Homework Equations

1. [itex] \int_{C_1} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_1[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sin{t} \vec{i} + \cos{t} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq \pi/2 [/itex].

2. [itex] \int_{C_2} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_2[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = t \vec{i} + \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq 1 [/itex].

3. [itex] \int_{C_3} \vec{F}(\vec{r}) \cdot d\vec{r}[/itex], where [itex]C_3[/itex] is the curve
[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \sqrt{1-t^2} \vec{i} + t \vec{j}[/itex],
[itex]0 \leq t \leq 1 [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that each curve [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] represents a quarter-circle in the first quadrant, and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]C_3[/itex] have a counter-clockwise direction starting at [itex](1, 0)[/itex], whereas [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] have a clockwise direction starting at [itex](0, 1)[/itex].

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is the same in each case, right? And if so, are the answers simply
1. -17
2. -17
3. 17?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure. What could be wrong with that?

:rolleyes: I'm not sure how to interpret that... It can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.

SithsNGiggles said:
:rolleyes: I'm not sure how to interpret that... It can easily be mistaken for sarcasm.

It's not. I just meant that your understanding is clear enough I can't think what to add. Suppose I should have said that.

Ok. Thank you!

Related to Given value of a line integral, find line integral along different curves

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. It is used in physics and engineering to determine properties such as work, energy, and flux.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is different from a regular integral because it calculates the value of a function along a specific curve or path, rather than over a specific interval. This means that the limits of integration for a line integral are defined by the curve, rather than by numerical values.

3. What is the significance of finding a line integral along different curves?

Finding a line integral along different curves allows us to understand how the value of a function changes depending on the path it is integrated along. It can also help us determine important physical properties, such as the amount of work done by a force or the amount of fluid flowing through a given curve.

4. How do you calculate a line integral along a curve?

To calculate a line integral along a curve, you first need to parameterize the curve by expressing it in terms of a variable, such as t. Then, you integrate the function along the curve by plugging in the parameterized equation and taking the integral with respect to t. Finally, you evaluate the integral using the limits of integration determined by the curve.

5. Are there any real-world applications of line integrals?

Yes, line integrals have many real-world applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe, or the amount of heat transferred in a system. They are also used in vector calculus to determine properties of vector fields, such as electric and magnetic fields.