Given Two Point Charges, Find the charge at Point 0 as x,y

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at the origin, point O, given two point charges placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1, is placed 16.0 m from the origin along the positive x axis and the second charge, q2, is placed 9.00 m from the origin along the negative x axis. The x and y components of the electric field are requested, with instructions to express the answer in Newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. The relevant equation used is E=(q/r^2)k. The conversation also mentions a photo, which is not provided in the text. The expert summary advises to simply calculate the magnitude of the electric field vectors for each charge
vr0nvr0n

Homework Statement

Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1 = 8.00 nC , is placed a distance 16.0 m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2 = 6.00 nC , is placed a distance 9.00 m from the origin along the negative x axis.

Photo shown by problem:
http://imgur.com/mmQtBk0

Find the electric field at the origin, point O.
Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in Newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. Keep in mind that an x component that points to the right is positive and a y component that points upward is positive.

Homework Equations

Presumably, E=(q/r^2)k

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can't seem to manage here is the Y component. I have used the relevant equation above and calculated the negative side and the positive side and subtracted the magnitude of the negative from the magnitude of the positive to find the X component at 0. But, I don't even see what I would use in the problem to find the charge along the Y component. I really want to understand this. Any advisement would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1011305A.jpg
    1011305A.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't know why the photo isn't working. Here is the photo again:

1011305A.jpg

components are "components", that is, parts of the whole. You don't have to go looking for hidden or separate y pieces. At the origin (or any other point in space for that matter) the electric field vector from each charge only points one direction. You seem to have correctly identified which way that is. Well then, how much of each electric field vector is along x and how much is along y? (0 is a perfectly good number)

Thank you.

There goes old vr0nvr0n, overthinking the problem again!

Thanks again.

Related to Given Two Point Charges, Find the charge at Point 0 as x,y

1. What is the formula for calculating the charge at Point 0 given two point charges at x,y?

The formula for calculating the charge at Point 0 is Q = (k*q1*q2)/(d^2), where Q is the charge at Point 0, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges at x,y, and d is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do I determine the direction of the charge at Point 0?

The direction of the charge at Point 0 can be determined by the sign of the calculated charge. A positive charge indicates a repulsive force, while a negative charge indicates an attractive force.

3. Do I need to consider the units of the charges and distance in the calculation?

Yes, in order to get an accurate result, it is important to use consistent units for the charges (usually in Coulombs) and distance (usually in meters) in the calculation.

4. Can the charge at Point 0 be zero?

Yes, the charge at Point 0 can be zero if the two point charges at x,y are of equal magnitude and opposite sign. This is known as a neutral equilibrium.

5. Is there a limit to the distance between the two point charges at x,y in this calculation?

The distance between the two point charges can theoretically be infinite, however, in practical applications, the calculation becomes less accurate as the distance increases. It is recommended to keep the distance within a reasonable range for more precise results.