Given f(x) = x^(2/3), find f'(x) using the Δ method.

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
But if you're ever working with something like ##\frac{d}{dx}x^n##, you'll need to think about it in a different way since the trick that you're using won't work.
s3a

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f'(x) = (f(x + Δx) – f(x))/(Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the entire solution (that is attached along with the problem as a png file), except how to get [(x + Δx)^(4/3) + (x + Δx)^(2/3) x^(2/3) + x^(4/3)]/[(x + Δx)^(4/3) + (x + Δx)^(2/3) x^(2/3) + x^(4/3)] = 1, without looking at the solution.

How would I come up with that on my own? What's “playing tricks with my head” is the fractional exponents. If it were dealing with square roots, for example, I would simply multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the numerator.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• Problem 72.jpg
    Problem 72.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 442
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

f'(x) = (f(x + Δx) – f(x))/(Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the entire solution (that is attached along with the problem as a png file), except how to get [(x + Δx)^(4/3) + (x + Δx)^(2/3) x^(2/3) + x^(4/3)]/[(x + Δx)^(4/3) + (x + Δx)^(2/3) x^(2/3) + x^(4/3)] = 1, without looking at the solution.

How would I come up with that on my own? What's “playing tricks with my head” is the fractional exponents. If it were dealing with square roots, for example, I would simply multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the numerator.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

It's the cube root version of the conjugate multiplication trick; ##a-b=(a^{1/3}-b^{1/3})(a^{2/3}+a^{1/3}b^{1/3}+b^{2/3})##. The motivation for this trick comes from the difference of cubes formula, or perhaps the more general ##x^n-y^n=(x-y)(x^{n-1}+x^{n-2}y+x^{n-3}y^2+...+xy^{n-2}+y^{n-1})##.

Sorry, I double-posted.

s3a said:
Ok, so I, basically, use the equation from the following link, with n = 2, right?:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...(n/3))(a^(2n/3)+++a^(n/3)+b^(n/3)+++b^(2n/3))

Well ... that equation is true, and I suppose it is relevant to this particular problem. That's not really the way that I look at it though. The way I see it, we're applying ##a-b=(a^{1/3}-b^{1/3})(a^{2/3}+a^{1/3}b^{1/3}+b^{2/3})## where ##a=(x+\Delta x)^2## and ##b=x^2##. The fact that things are being squared really has nothing to do with the trick that's being used. It's just something that happens to show up in this particular instance and has (in my opinion) very little to do with the work that's being done.

In my mind, your equation adds an extra parameter to the situation and shifts attention away from the actual idea that is being used. I'm not saying it's wrong to think about it that way, it's just not the way that I think about it. If that's what works for you, go for it.

Related to Given f(x) = x^(2/3), find f'(x) using the Δ method.

1. What is the Δ method used for?

The Δ method is used to find the derivative of a function at a specific point.

2. How do I use the Δ method to find f'(x) for a given function?

To use the Δ method, you would first need to plug in the given function into the formula: Δf(x) = f(x + Δx) - f(x). Then, you can simplify the formula and take the limit as Δx approaches 0 to find the derivative.

3. What is the difference between the Δ method and other methods of finding derivatives?

The Δ method is a numerical method, whereas other methods such as the power rule and chain rule are algebraic methods. The Δ method can be used for functions that are not easily differentiable using algebraic methods.

4. Can the Δ method be used for all types of functions?

No, the Δ method is not suitable for all types of functions. It works best for continuous functions that are not easily differentiable using algebraic methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Δ method for finding derivatives?

One limitation of the Δ method is that it can only give an estimate of the derivative at a specific point, rather than the exact value. It also requires knowledge of the function at nearby points, which may not always be available.