Given a range value, find the correspoding domain value

In summary, the problem asks to find the domain value for the function f(x) = -6x + 11, given that -1 is the range value. This is solved by setting f(x) = -1 and solving for x.
sharkman1
Here is the problem:
If -1 is a range value for the function f(x) = -6x + 11, find the domain value.

thank you for your help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've changed the title of your thread to reflect the nature of the question being asked. This gives people an indication of what is being discussed without having to view the thread.

We also ask that our users show what they have tried, so we know best how to help. When we don't know what you've tried we can't really offer help specific to your needs. We don't want to just do your work for you because this doesn't really help you learn.

Is range associated with $f$ or $x$?

Is it -6x + 11 = -1?

Monoxdifly said:
Is it -6x + 11 = -1?

Yes, we set:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-1\)

And then solve for $x$ to get the "domain" value associated with the "range" value of -1. I don't think I have ever read a problem termed like this, so this is how I think it should be interpreted.

Related to Given a range value, find the correspoding domain value

1. What is the difference between a range value and a domain value?

A range value refers to the set of possible outputs or dependent variables in a function, while a domain value refers to the set of possible inputs or independent variables in a function.

2. How do you find the corresponding domain value for a given range value?

To find the corresponding domain value, you can use the inverse function method or plug in the range value into the function to solve for the domain value.

3. Can a range value have multiple corresponding domain values?

Yes, a range value can have multiple corresponding domain values. This is known as a one-to-many relationship in a function.

4. Is it always possible to find the corresponding domain value for a given range value?

No, it is not always possible to find the corresponding domain value. This can happen if the function is not invertible or if the range value is not within the range of the function.

5. Can you give an example of finding the corresponding domain value for a given range value?

Sure, if we have the range value of 25 in the function f(x) = x^2, we can find the corresponding domain value by taking the square root of 25, which is 5. So, the domain value for the range value of 25 would be 5.