Given a 2nd order system response, how to get equation ?

In summary, the speaker is asking for help in developing an equation that models a 2nd order system response on a graph in the s-domain, based on a graph in the time domain. They also ask for clarification on the context and stimulus for this question.
integralx2
I have a 2nd order system response on a graph. How would I go about this to develop the equation that models this system in s- domain when its graphed in time domain like I have ?

Physics news on Phys.org
integralx2 said:
I have a 2nd order system response on a graph. How would I go about this to develop the equation that models this system in s- domain when its graphed in time domain like I have ?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of the question? What is the system? Can you post the graph? What was the stimulus to create this time domain response graph?

Related to Given a 2nd order system response, how to get equation ?

1. How do I determine the order of a system response?

The order of a system response refers to the highest power of the differential equation that describes the response. To determine the order, count the number of energy-storing elements (such as capacitors and inductors) in the system.

2. What is a 2nd order system response?

A 2nd order system response is a response that can be described by a second-order differential equation. This means that the response depends on two energy-storing elements in the system.

3. What are the steps to obtain the equation for a 2nd order system response?

The steps to obtain the equation for a 2nd order system response are as follows: 1) Determine the order of the system response, 2) Write the general form of a second-order differential equation, 3) Substitute the values of the system parameters into the equation, 4) Solve for the response variable (usually denoted as y or x).

4. Can the equation for a 2nd order system response be obtained using experimental data?

Yes, the equation for a 2nd order system response can be obtained using experimental data. This can be done by collecting data on the input and output of the system, and then using mathematical techniques (such as curve fitting) to determine the parameters of the differential equation that best fit the data.

5. Are there any assumptions made in obtaining the equation for a 2nd order system response?

Yes, there are some common assumptions made when obtaining the equation for a 2nd order system response. These include assuming linearity of the system, time-invariance, and constant parameters. However, these assumptions may vary depending on the specific system being studied and the accuracy needed for the response equation.