Non-reversibility of '2nd Law' processes

In summary: What about new molecular bonds being formed? If you suspect a probability of zero, you should be able to give an argument why new molecular bonds can't be formed.]
kith
Science Advisor
[Moderator's note: this thread is spun off from another thread in order to separate discussion on different topics. The quote below is from the original thread and is what is being responded to by kith. Kith's original post has been edited slightly for clarity.]

Charlie313 said:
BONUS: Discussions of 2nd Law seem to tend toward a 'statistical' interpretation -- 'Well, it might reverse itself, but it's just really, really unlikely!' That works if we're thinking of asymmetry and not absolute irreversibility. But for the egg to unsplatter itself would seem to require some input of energy (i.e. not a straightforward 'reversal'), or a suspension of basic laws like gravity .. mmm? My impression is that the 'anything is possible, some things are just super unlikely' explanation, is ok for things like gases in boxes, but for rebonding glass molecules, or reconstructing an egg? It seems really lame, or requiring two diff. universes to interact, or something ... Mmmm? 'Within THIS universe, no splattered egg will ever spontaneously reassemble itself, without a further (entropy-balancing) input of energy into the egg-floor-room system, so that the 2nd Law asymmetry of a system is never violated in specific cases of generally thermodynamically time-asymmetrical processes' or something -- ??

Here's a hint: f you drop an egg from a certain height, where does its (gravitational) potential energy go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Charlie313
Physics news on Phys.org
kith said:
Your bonus question is bit off topic here because it isn't about QM but here's a hint anyway: if you drop an egg from a certain height, where does its (gravitational) potential energy go?

A good, clarifying hint for me -- thanks! A lot of what I'm doing now is trying to clarify what my questions actually are, so I greatly appreciate the patience of wiser heads and any hints that come my way.

As to the grav. pot. energy, some is dissipated as atmospheric heat, some warms the floor a bit, some goes to break material bonds of shell and disrupt whatever accounts for the viscosity of the contents (adhesion?), some goes to splatter bits of egg everywhere, and so on.

But (as it turns out) I was thinking more about structure or organization than about energy as such. The statistical or probabilistic interpretation of the 2nd law works for gases and thermal states, but I have seen people extend a probability-based interpretation of the 2nd to things like broken eggs and spilled wine, as if this sort of 'entropy-increasing' event is only statistically, not absolutely irreversible --i.e. that a self-reassembling egg is not impossible, only really^100^100^100... unlikely, as if, IF we could watch enough eggs, we'd eventually see one put itself back together again. Does any physicist really think that? Given not only the dissipation of energy but also the loss of structure, the breaking of molecule-to-molecule bonds of whatever types are involved in shell membrane and contents, and the dirt and mites, etc., now mixed with the egg, the probability of a kind of spontaneous reassembling of the egg (even given a source of energy) seems not just very^very low, but zero.

Is that kind of irreversibility even a 2nd law issue? I guess I am used to seeing 'irreversibility'('time's arrow') explained in terms of the 2nd law -- not just heat flows and mixing of molecules in a fluid (Maxwell's Demon etc.) but also in terms of the improbability of highly organized systems and structures. (Here's an example from a random science blog: "For everyday (macroscopic) situations, the probability that the second law will be violated is practically zero." -- does not distinguish thermal issues from structural ones)

Is there some other principle than 2nd law also at work to make the egg smash non-reversible? I know there's a difference between (improbable) a gas mixture resorting itself, and (never happen) a mountain uneroding, but I'm not sure what besides 2nd law effects is making for irreversibility. Or maybe the probability-statistical interp. of 2nd law is off the mark? Guess I need to take those to a gen. phys or other forum :D.

And yeah, not QM - but half of my original question is about non-reversibility and entropy anyway, and probably belongs over in 2nd law or thermal systems or something anyway... Thanks again !

Last edited:
Charlie313 said:
Given not only the dissipation of energy but also the loss of structure, the breaking of molecule-to-molecule bonds of whatever types are involved in shell membrane and contents, and the dirt and mites, etc., now mixed with the egg, the probability of a kind of spontaneous reassembling of the egg (even given a source of energy) seems not just very^very low, but zero.
As you noted, the "loss of structure" has to do with molecular bonds being broken. What about new molecular bonds being formed? If you suspect a probability of zero, you should be able to give an argument why new molecular bonds can't be formed.

[Moderator's note: suggestion about moving thread removed since that has been done.]

Last edited by a moderator:
@kith, Try Googling Poincare Recurrance Time.

Related to Non-reversibility of '2nd Law' processes

What is the "2nd Law" of thermodynamics?

The 2nd Law of thermodynamics states that in any closed system, the total entropy (or disorder) will always increase over time. This means that energy will always naturally flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, resulting in a decrease in usable energy and an increase in disorder.

Why are some processes in the universe irreversible?

According to the 2nd Law of thermodynamics, all processes in a closed system must result in an increase in entropy. This means that the energy used to perform a process will never be completely converted into useful work, and some energy will always be lost as heat. This loss of usable energy makes the process irreversible.

What is the connection between the non-reversibility of processes and the concept of time?

The non-reversibility of processes is closely related to the concept of time. In a closed system, as time progresses, the total entropy will always increase. This means that the direction of time is determined by the increase in entropy, and processes cannot be reversed because they would result in a decrease in entropy, which goes against the 2nd Law of thermodynamics.

Can any process ever be completely reversible?

No, according to the 2nd Law of thermodynamics, all processes in a closed system must result in an increase in entropy. This means that there will always be some energy lost as heat, making the process irreversible. However, some processes may be close to reversible if the energy loss is minimal and can be easily reversed by an external source.

What are some examples of irreversible processes in everyday life?

Some examples of irreversible processes in everyday life include the burning of fuel, the melting of ice, and the expansion of a gas. In all of these processes, energy is lost as heat and cannot be easily reversed. Other examples include aging, decay, and natural processes such as the flow of a river or the movement of tectonic plates.