Getting wrong answer to differential equation (first order separable ODE)

In my method, I just wrote the arbitrary constant on the RHS. In your method, you wrote it on the LHS. It doesn't matter. But I will add one thing, if you want to avoid confusion, just write it on the RHS.So you're saying that arcsin(x)=arcsin(y)+C is the same asarcsin(x)=arcsin(y)+CIn summary, the given equation can be rewritten as $\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy$, which is the integral for $\sin^{-1}(x)$ and $\sin^{-1}(y)$. The solution to the equation
find_the_fun
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-y^2}dx - \sqrt{1-x^2}dy=0\), \(\displaystyle y(0)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

rewriting the equation gives \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}dy\)

Isn't this the integral for \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}(x)\) & \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}(y)\)? The back of book has \(\displaystyle y=1/2x+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sqrt{1-x^2}\)

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-y^2}dx - \sqrt{1-x^2}dy=0\), \(\displaystyle y(0)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

rewriting the equation gives \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}dy\)

Isn't this the integral for \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}(x)\) & \(\displaystyle \sin^{-1}(y)\)? The back of book has \(\displaystyle y=1/2x+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\sqrt{1-x^2}\)

Well, assuming that is indeed the correct problem, then your set up is correct. Solving the ODE gives you $y=\sin\left(\arcsin (x) + C\right)$.

The initial condition $y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$ tells you that $\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\sin\left(C\right) \implies C= \dfrac{\pi}{3}+2k\pi,\dfrac{2\pi}{3}+2k\pi$. Since we can't have an infinite number of constants, take $C$ to be the principal value, i.e. $C=\dfrac{\pi}{3}$,

Then $y(x) = \sin\left(\arcsin x + \dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)$.

Now to get the answer they have, apply the identity $\sin(\alpha+\beta) = \sin\alpha\cos\beta+\cos\alpha\sin\beta$ and simplify.

I hope this makes sense!

find_the_fun said:

The general solution You arrive to is...

$\displaystyle \sin ^{-1} y = \sin^{-1} x + c\ (1)$

... and from (1) You derive...

$\displaystyle y = x\ \cos c + \sqrt {1-x^{2}}\ \sin c\ (2)$

Now You use the initial value and find c...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

find_the_fun said:

I edited the thread title and the body of the post to rewrite the n's in lowercase and added a bit of information to the title to describe the problem.

MarkFL said:
I edited the thread title and the body of the post to rewrite the n's in lowercase and added a bit of information to the title to describe the problem.

Yea sorry about that my keyboard is breaking down.

Chris L T521 said:
Well, assuming that is indeed the correct problem, then your set up is correct. Solving the ODE gives you $y=\sin\left(\arcsin (x) + C\right)$.

The initial condition $y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$ tells you that $\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\sin\left(C\right) \implies C= \dfrac{\pi}{3}+2k\pi,\dfrac{2\pi}{3}+2k\pi$. Since we can't have an infinite number of constants, take $C$ to be the principal value, i.e. $C=\dfrac{\pi}{3}$,

Then $y(x) = \sin\left(\arcsin x + \dfrac{\pi}{3}\right)$.

Now to get the answer they have, apply the identity $\sin(\alpha+\beta) = \sin\alpha\cos\beta+\cos\alpha\sin\beta$ and simplify.

I hope this makes sense!

Doesn't \(\displaystyle C=-\frac{\pi}{3}\) because \(\displaystyle arcsin(0)=arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})+C\) so \(\displaystyle C=-arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})\)? I don't follow you here "The initial condition [FONT=MathJax_Math]y[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]3[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]√[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT] tells you that [FONT=MathJax_Main]3[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]√[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]sin[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]C[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])"[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main][/FONT]

find_the_fun said:
Doesn't \(\displaystyle C=-\frac{\pi}{3}\) because \(\displaystyle arcsin(0)=arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})+C\) so \(\displaystyle C=-arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})\)? I don't follow you here "The initial condition [FONT=MathJax_Math]y[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]0[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]3[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]√[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT] tells you that [FONT=MathJax_Main]3[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]√[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]2[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]sin[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]C[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])"[/FONT]

If $y(x) = \sin\left(\arcsin x + C\right)$, then $y(0) = \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \implies \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sin(\arcsin 0 + C) = \sin C$.

Thus $\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\sin C \implies C=\arcsin\left(\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \dfrac{\pi}{3}$.

If you want to leave things in terms of inverse sines, then the initial condition $y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$ would the get plugged in as follows:

\[\arcsin y = \arcsin x + C \xrightarrow{y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}{} \arcsin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \arcsin 0 + C \implies C = \arcsin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi}{3}.\]

I hope this clarifies things!

Chris L T521 said:
If $y(x) = \sin\left(\arcsin x + C\right)$, then $y(0) = \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \implies \dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sin(\arcsin 0 + C) = \sin C$.

Thus $\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\sin C \implies C=\arcsin\left(\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \dfrac{\pi}{3}$.

If you want to leave things in terms of inverse sines, then the initial condition $y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$ would the get plugged in as follows:

\[\arcsin y = \arcsin x + C \xrightarrow{y(0)=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}{} \arcsin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \arcsin 0 + C \implies C = \arcsin\left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi}{3}.\]

I hope this clarifies things!

I see your way but is there something wrong with the following approach:

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}} dy\) gives \(\displaystyle arcsin(x)=arcsin(y)+C\) using the initial condition
\(\displaystyle arcsin(0)=arcsin(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})+C\)
\(\displaystyle 0=a\frac{\pi}{3}+C\)
therefore \(\displaystyle C=-\frac{\pi}{-3}\) note the negative sign.

Oh I see I switched what I should be plugging in for x and y.

Last edited:
Chris L T521 said:

\[\arcsin y = \arcsin x + C\]...

I get a different equation because

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}dy\) gives \(\displaystyle arcsin(x)=arcsin(y)+C\) How come your C is on the other side of the equation? Do you get to decide which side of the equation has the arbitrary constant? Doesn't it change the sign?

find_the_fun said:
I get a different equation because

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}dy\) gives \(\displaystyle arcsin(x)=arcsin(y)+C\) How come your C is on the other side of the equation? Do you get to decide which side of the equation has the arbitrary constant? Doesn't it change the sign?

Your arbitrary constant is just that, ARBITRARY. You can write it in any form you like. When you solve for it, you'll get the same answer.

Related to Getting wrong answer to differential equation (first order separable ODE)

1. Why did I get the wrong answer to my differential equation?

There are several potential reasons for getting the wrong answer to a differential equation. Some common causes include errors in the initial conditions, mistakes in the algebraic manipulation of the equation, and integration errors. It is important to carefully check your work and double-check all calculations to identify any potential mistakes.

2. How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

The best way to check if your solution to a differential equation is correct is to substitute it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use numerical methods, such as graphing the solution or plugging in different values for the independent variable, to confirm the accuracy of your solution.

3. Can changing the order of integration affect the solution to a differential equation?

Yes, changing the order of integration can affect the solution to a differential equation. This is especially true for non-linear equations, where the order of integration can significantly impact the form and behavior of the solution. It is important to be mindful of the order of integration and to follow the proper steps when solving a differential equation.

4. What is the most common mistake when solving first-order separable ODEs?

The most common mistake when solving first-order separable ODEs is incorrectly identifying the independent and dependent variables. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement to correctly set up the equation and identify which variable is the independent variable and which is the dependent variable.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

The best way to improve your skills in solving differential equations is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, and attend workshops or tutoring sessions to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in solving differential equations.