Getting to Habitable Exoplanets

• Thread starter cjackson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exoplanets
The reason I brought up the speed of light limit is because the OP was talking about getting to the nearest Exoearth and 10% of c isn't going to do it.
cjackson
According to Wikipedia, there could be as many as 11 billion planets in the habitable zone of sun-like stars, with the closest potentially 12 light years away. That number goes up to 40 billion if you include red dwarfs. How would we even go about getting to the nearest Exoearth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's not possible with current or foreseeable technology or physics.

We are still trying to figure out how to safely send humans to mars, which is obscenely close compared to the nearest star. The fuel requirements alone are vast beyond imagination. Realistically, it appears interstellar travel is centuries beyond our grasp. For discussion, see http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.1066.

Robert L. Forward is cited in your
Energy, incessant obsolescence, and the first interstellar missions

cjackson said:
According to Wikipedia, there could be as many as 11 billion planets in the habitable zone of sun-like stars, with the closest potentially 12 light years away. That number goes up to 40 billion if you include red dwarfs. How would we even go about getting to the nearest Exoearth?
In addition to the other responses, be aware that your statement is not, technically, correct. Science depends on precise terminology and you have described a limited range without specifying it. That is, you have implied that "11 billion planets" encompasses the entire universe but it does not, it is the subset in the observable universe, not "the universe". Just because Wikipedia gets it wrong (and I'm assuming they did not say observable universe) does not make it right. The number of planets in the universe could be infinite in which case the number of inhabitable planets is also infinite and that's WAY bigger than 11 billion :smile:

Chronos said:
We are still trying to figure out how to safely send humans to mars, which is obscenely close compared to the nearest star. The fuel requirements alone are vast beyond imagination. Realistically, it appears interstellar travel is centuries beyond our grasp. For discussion, see http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.1066.
Our knowledge is increasing more rapidly than ever before. I would not make predictions for centuries in the future. The past is full of wrong "impossible"-predictions about technology. Sure, you can take the last decades and extrapolate into the future - I wonder which number of computers or spaceflights for today such a prediction would have given 1915.

@phinds: that number refers to our galaxy.

mfb said:
Our knowledge is increasing more rapidly than ever before. I would not make predictions for centuries in the future. The past is full of wrong "impossible"-predictions about technology. Sure, you can take the last decades and extrapolate into the future - I wonder which number of computers or spaceflights for today such a prediction would have given 1915.
I agree w/ you, but the speed of light limit doesn't seem like something that is going to go away.

@phinds: that number refers to our galaxy.
Ha. An even smaller limit that should have been specified.

I'm not talking about superluminal travel - 10% the speed of light allow to travel 10 light years in 100 years.

mfb said:
I'm not talking about superluminal travel - 10% the speed of light allow to travel 10 light years in 100 years.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't for a minute think you were talking about FTL. At 10% of c, I still think there are very significant shielding problems and others as well. I do agree that these are primarily just engineering problems and who knows what we might have to address them with in 50 years or 100 years and more.

Related to Getting to Habitable Exoplanets

1. How do scientists identify potentially habitable exoplanets?

To identify potentially habitable exoplanets, scientists look for planets that are located in the "habitable zone" of their star, meaning they are at a distance where liquid water could exist on the surface. They also look for planets that have a similar size and composition to Earth, as well as those that have the potential for an atmosphere.

2. What technologies do scientists use to study exoplanets?

Scientists use a variety of technologies to study exoplanets, including telescopes, spectroscopy, and space probes. Telescopes can detect the presence of exoplanets by measuring the slight dips in a star's brightness as a planet passes in front of it. Spectroscopy allows scientists to analyze the composition of an exoplanet's atmosphere. Space probes, such as NASA's Kepler mission, can directly observe and gather data on exoplanets.

3. What are some challenges scientists face in studying exoplanets?

One major challenge in studying exoplanets is their distance from Earth. The vast majority of exoplanets are located outside of our solar system, making it difficult to observe and gather data on them. Another challenge is the fact that each exoplanet is unique, with its own atmospheric and environmental conditions, making it difficult to make generalizations about habitability.

4. How do scientists determine if an exoplanet is actually habitable?

Scientists use a variety of factors to determine if an exoplanet is habitable. These include the planet's size, composition, and distance from its star, as well as its potential for an atmosphere and the presence of water. They also study the planet's star to determine if it has a stable environment and if it emits enough energy to support life.

5. What is the next step in the search for habitable exoplanets?

The next step in the search for habitable exoplanets is to gather more data and knowledge about the exoplanets we have already discovered. This can help scientists better understand the conditions necessary for habitability and potentially identify more habitable exoplanets. Additionally, new technologies and advancements in space exploration will also play a key role in the continued search for habitable exoplanets.