Getting started with Electrical Engineering

In summary, a high school student is looking to expand their knowledge of electrical engineering by building electronic systems such as robots and constructing chips and networks. They are currently enrolled in a university and seeking book suggestions to deepen their understanding of the subject. They are also in the process of constructing a CO2 slow wave laser and are interested in understanding the base components and how they work. A recommended book is "Teach yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Stan Gibilisco.
andrewkg
Getting started with Electrical Engineering!

Hello, I'm a high school student 15. I want to start building or working more with electronical systems. I build robots some. But i want to get into it further the core of that. With constructing chips (from pre printed boards), networks, high sensitivity sensor etc... I can spent any amount of time necessary. I was just curious if anyone had any book suggestions classes at a university (Im currently enrolled at the U in my town). Currently I'm in the process of constructing a CO2 slow wave laser, although this is many just following instructions, I would enjoy to understand the base components and how they work and why they work. If anyone had any suggestions on how to get there it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

There is a book that I keep on my shelf that is a good introductory book for understanding electronics, current, circuits ect... its called "Teach yourself Electricity and Electronics by Stan Gibilisco. Its pretty comprehensive, and makes this easy to understand.

Related to Getting started with Electrical Engineering

What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the use of principles and theories from physics, mathematics, and computer science to create, develop, and maintain electrical systems and devices.

What are the basic principles of Electrical Engineering?

The basic principles of Electrical Engineering include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the concept of electrical circuits. These principles help in understanding the behavior of electricity and how it can be controlled and utilized in various systems and devices.

What are the essential skills needed to become an Electrical Engineer?

Some essential skills needed to become an Electrical Engineer include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. It is also important to have knowledge of computer programming and proficiency in using various software and tools for electrical design and analysis.

What are some common applications of Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering has a wide range of applications in various industries, including power generation and distribution, telecommunications, electronics, computer hardware, and automation. It is also involved in the design and development of renewable energy sources, medical devices, and transportation systems.

How can I get started with learning Electrical Engineering?

To get started with learning Electrical Engineering, you can begin by taking relevant courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects. Additionally, joining professional organizations and attending conferences and workshops can also help in expanding your knowledge and network in the field.