Getting generals out of the way during summer?

• Thread starter anonymity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: Taking four classes in a summer session at UND would be okay, but you might want to try to spread them out over a few different sessions if possible to avoid having too much on your plate at once. Taking four classes in a summer session at U of M would be a lot more difficult, as their summer sessions are much shorter (3 weeks or less).
anonymity
I'm currently attending a public university in north dakota, UND, and am planning on transferring to purdue after my second year here (want to enter for the fall of junior year).

I am really interested in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering, and am likely going to major in both (trying to figure out if it can be done in four years right now, but it sortof looks like i will have to stay another semester).

Because of this (double majoring) i would like to get any required social studies/english/other general requirements out of the way during summer semesters.

How many credits can be (safely) taken during a summer semester?

This summer i want to take an english comp class, micro econ, and a C programing class, which is over 10 credits...Is this too high?

(fyi: I'm a freshman right now, currently taking calc 1, chem101, python programing class, and two EE courses)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the UND summer session is in one big block, rather than broken up into chunks like a lot of other institutions. May 17 through August 6 gives a good amount of time compared to some other place that has two 7-week sessions, for example.

Still, over 10 credits will be pushing it, but it can be done.

Oh I'm sorry, i was not clear.

I would be taking these classes back home (minnesota) at either the U of M or a community college there. The sessions would be broken up into shortened sessions. The U of M has three main summer sessions; a 4-week session, 8-week session, and 14-week session. Their website has minimal information about summer sessions as a whole, and all of the information about registration and credit load is directed towards the fall and spring semesters.How many credits would you(guys) recommend to some one looking at each of these term lengths (4, 8, 12)?

Last edited:
This summer I took a Trig class and a composition class in a 7 week summer semester. I already knew Trigonometry, so it was more like a refresher for me, but it still required me to actually sit and study and do my homework. The composition class wasn't hard either, but it took a lot of time (for me at least) to write those essays. Both class were of four credits each, but I don't think it was too much to handle.

Also, if you wonder why I didn't take more classes, then that's because it was my first college semester ever, and I wanted to see how I'll handle the load.

I think that taking three generals shouldn't be a problem in an eight-weeks semester, and definitely not in a 14-weeks semester. Actually, I'm attending a university that works in quarters right now, so that's 10 weeks per semester, and it's not that stressful. You'll definitely be able to take 4 classes over a 14-weeks semester; just don't procrastinate and put things off until the last minute.

I took calc 2 over the summer a while ago. It was 5 weeks, 3 hours a day, and at least 4 hours of homework a day. It would be pretty rough to take two classes like that at the same time

Yea it really depends on how the summer is set up. I took calc 1 and computer science I over a summer but it wasnt a crazy 5 weeker but rather close to 10. Time was normal but was 3 times a week rather than twice like in fall/spring.

I plan on doing Circuit Analysis, ODE, and Philosophy next summer which seems like a lot at once for summer but in reality those courses actually take place during different times of the summer and only overlap for about 2 weeks or so.

Econ prolly isn't going to be super hard or intensive (at least I'v never had problems with econ classes) but programming is going to take a lot of time outside for projects. Composition might also, but that really depends on the prof/class. I've had friends who took classes that required tons of essays while mine was more of a hands-on discussion type class that produced quality over quantity papers.

Related to Getting generals out of the way during summer?

1. How can I effectively get generals out of the way during summer?

There are a few strategies you can use to get generals out of the way during summer. One option is to plan ahead and schedule important meetings or tasks for when the generals are away on vacation. Another approach is to delegate tasks to other team members or utilize technology to streamline processes.

2. What are the benefits of getting generals out of the way during summer?

Getting generals out of the way during summer can lead to increased productivity and efficiency. With fewer people in the office, there can be less distractions and interruptions, allowing for better focus and completion of tasks. It can also create opportunities for other team members to step up and take on new responsibilities.

3. How can I ensure that getting generals out of the way during summer does not negatively affect our team's progress?

To prevent any negative impacts on the team's progress, it is important to communicate with the generals and plan ahead. Make sure to set clear expectations and deadlines for tasks that need to be completed during the summer months. Also, have a backup plan in place in case any issues arise while the generals are away.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to getting generals out of the way during summer?

One potential drawback is that important decisions may need to be delayed until the generals return. This could potentially slow down progress on certain projects or initiatives. Additionally, if the generals are the only ones with certain expertise or knowledge, their absence could create a knowledge gap within the team.

5. How can I effectively manage and coordinate with the generals while they are away during summer?

To effectively manage and coordinate with the generals while they are away, it is important to establish clear lines of communication. This could include setting up regular check-ins via phone or email, or utilizing video conferencing tools for important meetings. It is also important to trust in the generals' ability to handle their responsibilities while they are away and avoid micromanaging from a distance.