Getting correct wattage from lead-acid battery

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether it is possible and safe to wire a 12V 7Ah sealed lead-acid battery, a small stereo amplifier, and a 12V USB adapter in parallel in order to power both the amplifier and charge a phone at the same time. The conversation also touches on the possibility of "motorboating" and battery life. The experts suggest using a large capacitor to prevent "motorboating" and mention that battery life may be affected by the additional load.
jake9115
Hi,

So I have a question that I feel is best suited for people who know much about electricity and circuits. I have a 12V 7Ah sealed lead-acid battery (here, FYI http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=140-366).

I also have a small stereo amplifier, 12VDC 2A, that is 15W/channel (2 channels, found here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-385).

Finally, I have a simple 12V USB adapter, the kind for a car's cigarette lighter (here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=125-362).

I know that this circuit board works well with this battery, but I'd like to charge my phone at the same time as I listen to music! Is it possible (and safe), to wire the battery to the stereo amplifier and to the 12V adapter in parallel to power both devices? Are there any problems I should consider?

Thanks for your comments!

Engineering news on Phys.org
no takers yet?

should work fine, from looking at what datasheets i could find..

Stereo board appears to have a filter capacitor
http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/300-385-dayton-audio-dta-2-manual-43360.pdf
so you shouldn't need one external. If it "motorboats" try a large capacitor right across the battery; probably it won't.

and the phone charger doesn't say a thing about its internals.. so don't plug the phone into the stereo with another cable...

There's a very remote chance the phone charger will upset the stereo y switching noise. If so you'll have to add filtering, but i doubt it'll happen.

Phone charger can output two amps so it might draw one amp.
Stereo will draw small fraction of an amp unless you use it for one of those earth-shaker car stereos. If it approaches an amp i'd be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way off topic here.

jim hardy said:
... If it "motorboats" try a large capacitor right across the battery; ...

I knew exactly what you meant but hadn't heard it for a long time, so I did a search and this is all I could find; electrically that is.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:IG_sg1ihsGgJ:www.clarisonus.com/Archives/Amp_Design/Motorboating.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiq4YbekWX1_Q6TxMHJO9WGxp6UqJFsKiI47pon8Nse0HdI4LRxo09nrC-Um8ACzueJDrcE7AWRR96tT6o3iSqY6c-0V5gZNnvkc8GqibCIXrSbmp-mTWPFV2hPrQhLkzfpFejW&sig=AHIEtbTTdqdg5azRFr8fQgifJwRY-FDRbw

Thanks Don I'm getting old and forget everybody wasn't messing with electronics fifty years ago (nice article there from 1927 !)

"Motorboating" sometimes happens when a battery powered audio amp is playing loud material with a lot of low frequency content. A big bass passage demands a large "gulp" of current which may briefly overload the battery. So battery voltage sags and the amp distorts. It can cause a sound resembling an inboard motorboar exhaust that's not quite under water 'burbling'. Nowdays nearly everybody has outboards so i guess the term is outdated.

old jim

Assuming you aren't operating the stereo amp at max volume, it's going to consume much less than the rated 2 amps, so battery life should be pretty good. Of course, besides the previously mentioned issues, the battery will discharge faster with each additional load you connect.

Related to Getting correct wattage from lead-acid battery

1. How do I calculate the correct wattage for my lead-acid battery?

To calculate the correct wattage for your lead-acid battery, you will need to know the battery's voltage and amp-hour (Ah) rating. Simply multiply the voltage by the Ah rating to get the watt-hour (Wh) capacity. For example, a 12V battery with a 100Ah rating would have a watt-hour capacity of 1200Wh. This is the maximum wattage that the battery can provide.

2. How do I know if my lead-acid battery is providing the correct wattage?

To determine if your lead-acid battery is providing the correct wattage, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current being drawn from the battery. Multiply these two values to get the wattage. If the wattage is close to the calculated watt-hour capacity, then the battery is providing the correct wattage.

3. What factors can affect the wattage output of a lead-acid battery?

The wattage output of a lead-acid battery can be affected by factors such as temperature, age, and the battery's state of charge. Higher temperatures can increase the battery's internal resistance, which can lower the wattage output. As the battery ages, it may also have a reduced wattage output. Additionally, a battery with a low state of charge may not be able to provide its full wattage capacity.

4. Can I use a lead-acid battery with a higher wattage rating than my device requires?

It is generally safe to use a lead-acid battery with a higher wattage rating than your device requires. However, keep in mind that the battery will only provide the wattage that is needed by the device. Using a battery with a higher wattage rating will not damage your device, but it may be more expensive and larger than necessary.

5. How long will a lead-acid battery provide the correct wattage for my device?

The length of time that a lead-acid battery will provide the correct wattage for your device depends on the battery's watt-hour capacity and the wattage requirements of your device. To determine the estimated run time, divide the battery's watt-hour capacity by the wattage that your device requires. Keep in mind that the actual run time may vary depending on factors such as temperature and battery age.