Power Bike With Lead Acid Gel Battery: Advice Needed

In summary: There are many different types and most will have a charging voltage higher than the battery's nominal voltage.
mitul121
I currently have a set up where I have attached a permanant magnet dc motor to a bicycle. The motor is attached through a diode to a 12v regulator and then to a 12v to 240v inverter. Everything works fine and I can power up my devices.

But I have been told that if I connect my 12V lead acid gel battery to the inverter as well via a diode, this will act as a back up source, so if I stop pedalling, the battery will power the inverter via a process called forward/reverse biasing.

Please can I get some advice on this and whether it will work?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you for your reply, that was a really positive answer for me. I have a reulator in the circuit too which outputs 12.5 volts. Does this mean that the inverter would constsantly run off my battery?

I was thinking of charging the battery by simply making a constant current charger using the lm317. Would you recommend this? Also, this would not effect the process of the inverter using the highest voltage from the two dc sources would it?

Thanks
Mitul

If your generator is not running, and your inverter is still connected, then yes, it will draw current from the battery and/or charging circuit. If the charging circuit cannot supply what the inverter will draw, then the battery will be getting discharged some.

Thanks for your reply. What I intended to say was that my generator is regulated to 12.5 volts. Does this mean that voltage will be drawn from the battery as I have read that the battery gives out approximately 13v and the inverter draws from the source providing the highest voltage. Sorry for asking such questions, I am just trying to understand how this would work.

Thanks

The battery will produce close to 12v with a load on it.
However, charging voltage is usually about 13.6v.

Given that most 12v inverters a designed to operate connected to a car, then this voltage swing shouldn't present a problem unless you have an unusual inverter.

All you should need to do is connect the battery to the inverter/regulator output junction and adjust the regulator to charge the battery.
You might want an indicator to show you are pedaling hard enough to keep the battery from being discharged.
Do some reading on automotive charging circuits.

Related to Power Bike With Lead Acid Gel Battery: Advice Needed

1. How does a power bike with lead acid gel battery work?

A power bike with lead acid gel battery works by converting chemical energy into electrical energy. The battery contains lead plates and an electrolyte gel that undergoes a chemical reaction to produce electricity. This electricity is then used to power the motor of the bike.

2. What are the advantages of using a lead acid gel battery in a power bike?

One advantage of using a lead acid gel battery in a power bike is its lower cost compared to other types of batteries. It also has a longer lifespan and can withstand frequent charging and discharging. Additionally, lead acid gel batteries are relatively safe to use and do not produce harmful gases.

3. How long does a lead acid gel battery last in a power bike?

The lifespan of a lead acid gel battery in a power bike depends on several factors such as the quality of the battery, usage patterns, and maintenance. On average, a lead acid gel battery can last for 2-3 years with proper care and maintenance.

4. What are some important maintenance tips for a power bike with lead acid gel battery?

To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of a power bike with lead acid gel battery, it is important to regularly check and maintain the battery. This includes keeping the battery clean and dry, avoiding overcharging or discharging, and replacing the battery when it shows signs of deterioration or reduced performance.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a lead acid gel battery in a power bike?

While lead acid gel batteries are generally safe to use, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind. These batteries contain sulfuric acid, which can be harmful if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. It is important to handle these batteries with caution and wear protective gear when handling or maintaining them. It is also recommended to dispose of old batteries properly to avoid environmental contamination.