Getting back into research after 10 years?

In summary, the individual has a PhD in theoretical atomic physics and has been working in the IT industry for 10 years. They have recently developed a desire to return to research and have been re-learning math and physics. They are wondering if it is feasible to pursue an academic research post after such a long break and if anyone else has had a similar experience. It is suggested that they consider if they can catch up with any advances made in their chosen subfield in the last ten years, but the individual believes this will not be a major obstacle due to their previous experience with computational research.
bnez
Hello folks,

I graduated 10 years ago with a PhD in theoretical atomic physics and went into the IT industry. My career to date in IT has been successful, however it has never challenged me and recently I have had a great yearning to get back into research. So I have been getting out all my old math books again and started re-learning and re-discovering the joy of maths and physics and the challenges that they bring.

So my question; is it realistic that I could pursue an academic research post after 10 years away? Has anyone else any similar experience?

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question you need to ask is "can you catch up with the advances made in your chosen subfield in the last ten years"?

Vanadium 50 said:
The question you need to ask is "can you catch up with the advances made in your chosen subfield in the last ten years"?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think that there have been any significant or insurmountable advances in my area of research that would hinder me. A fair portion of my research was computational and this aspect would be the least challenging; parallel programming etc...

Related to Getting back into research after 10 years?

1. How do I update my knowledge and skills after being out of research for 10 years?

The best way to update your knowledge and skills is by attending conferences, seminars, and workshops related to your field of research. Additionally, you can reach out to colleagues and collaborators to discuss recent advancements and techniques. Online resources, such as webinars and online courses, are also great options for staying updated.

2. Do I need to start from scratch with my research projects?

It depends on the nature of your research projects and how much has changed in your field in the past 10 years. If your projects are still relevant, you can continue where you left off with some updates and modifications. However, if your projects are no longer relevant, you may need to start fresh and come up with new research ideas.

3. How do I get funding for my research after such a long break?

Getting funding for research can be challenging, especially after a long break. It is essential to invest time in writing a strong research proposal and reaching out to potential funding sources, such as government agencies, private foundations, and universities. Networking with colleagues and collaborators can also help you find funding opportunities.

4. Will my previous research experience still be relevant?

Your previous research experience is still valuable, as it has provided you with essential skills and knowledge. However, you may need to update your skills and adapt to new techniques and technologies that have emerged in your field during your break. It is also crucial to stay current with the literature in your field to understand the current research trends and gaps.

5. How can I balance my personal life with my research career after such a long break?

Balancing personal life with a research career can be challenging, especially after a long break. It is essential to prioritize your time and set realistic goals. Communicating with your family and colleagues about your schedule and commitments can also help you manage your time effectively. Additionally, finding a supportive work environment and seeking help when needed can also make the transition smoother.