Getting a Physics Degree While Working in the US

In summary, it will be difficult to continue studying physics without a PhD, but online degrees might be an option.
SushiLord
Hello everyone,

I have always loved physics but for many reasons (mostly parents) I didn't major in physics.
I am about to get my master's in computer science in europe and am soon moving to the US to work.

I know that continuing studies is easier than in europe (in my country it's simply impossible) so I would like to know if anyone knows how I could achieve this.

Are there night courses ? Online only degrees ?

I already have a basic understanding of some fields of physics as I taught myself (quantum physics, relativity and classical).

Thank you for your time,
SushiLord

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer depends on what you want to study physics for.

Is it just a hobby, to fulfill your curiosity about physics, or are you hoping to actually do something what that education?

I am hoping to be able to do research in theoretical physics or aerospace, I am amazed by both !

You will need a PhD to do any sort of constant research, as a general rule of course.. I suspect there might be jobs for people with a masters in it.

Yea I was planning on doing a PhD if I ever managed to get a bachelor's first, which is what is causing me problems right now :/

Then it severally limits your options for continuing studies. There are some master programs, like the one at UCSD, where you can take one course a quarter until you complete your masters. With a CS degree, you might be able to get into some similar master program for physics, but I am not sure how feasible or likely this is.

Online degrees, especially for something like physics, aren't going to be looked upon very good by PhD granting institutions my intuition tells me, but I could be wrong. You're going to need to get a PhD to do what you want to do. You can do your PhD online at some places, but these are just diploma mills that are looking to make a quick buck.

I quit my job to study physics, it become to difficult to find the right night classes even at the junior college I was attending.

Maybe someone else will have a more personal experience to help you out, and it depends on how flexible your work schedule is, it might not be impossible to go to uni for your bs/ms while working.

Last edited:

Related to Getting a Physics Degree While Working in the US

1. What are the benefits of getting a physics degree while working in the US?

The main benefit of getting a physics degree while working in the US is the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the field while studying. This can greatly enhance your learning and give you a competitive edge in the job market after graduation. Additionally, studying in the US can also provide networking opportunities and access to top research facilities.

2. Is it possible to work while completing a physics degree in the US?

Yes, it is possible to work while completing a physics degree in the US. Many universities offer part-time work opportunities on campus for international students. In addition, students with an F-1 visa are allowed to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during breaks and holidays.

3. How long does it take to complete a physics degree in the US while working?

The duration of a physics degree in the US while working will vary depending on the program and the student's course load. Generally, a bachelor's degree takes four years to complete, a master's degree takes two years, and a doctoral degree takes four to six years. However, working while studying may extend the duration of the degree.

4. Are there any specific requirements for international students to work while completing a physics degree in the US?

International students who wish to work while completing a physics degree in the US must have an F-1 visa and be enrolled in a full-time academic program at an accredited institution. They also need to obtain a work permit from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before starting any off-campus employment.

5. What are the job prospects for international students with a physics degree from the US?

International students with a physics degree from the US have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including research and development, aerospace, energy, and technology. With a strong background in physics and valuable work experience, they are highly sought after by employers both in the US and around the world.