Get Clarity on Differential Evolution: A Simple Explanation

In summary, differential evolution is a computational algorithm that randomly searches for the best solution to a function with multiple dependent variables and one independent variable. It can be challenging to implement in FORTRAN, but there are resources available for those who are unfamiliar with the concept.
swartzism
I am trying to write a differential evolution in FORTRAN, but I am a bit confused by the concept. I've read through Storn and Price's explanation of the concept, but I'm still not getting it. Can anyone offer a dumb-ed down version of what exactly a differential evolution is?

Technology news on Phys.org
swartzism said:
I am trying to write a differential evolution in FORTRAN, but I am a bit confused by the concept. I've read through Storn and Price's explanation of the concept, but I'm still not getting it. Can anyone offer a dumb-ed down version of what exactly a differential evolution is?

Rather than have us research this for you, why don't you tell us what Storn and Price have to say. If you have specific questions about their explanation, ask them and someone here can probably explain it to you.

Well if my understanding is correct, a differential evolution takes a function and randomly searches throughout the plane of 1 independent variable and n dependent variables and comes up with a best guess on the global minimum of the n-dimension field.

I'm in abstract algebra, so I'm no stranger to the algorithm given on wikipedia's DE page, but I'm not sure how to move it from theory to a computer screen. Does anyone know of any very basic walk through examples of a differential evolution? Every example I've found is way above my pay grade.

Related to Get Clarity on Differential Evolution: A Simple Explanation

1. What is Differential Evolution?

Differential Evolution is a type of evolutionary algorithm that is used to optimize multi-dimensional functions. It is a population-based method that mimics the process of natural selection and evolution to find the optimal solution to a problem.

2. How does Differential Evolution work?

Differential Evolution works by creating a population of potential solutions to a problem and then using a combination of mutation, crossover, and selection operations to produce new generations of solutions. The algorithm aims to improve the solutions in each generation until the optimal solution is found.

3. What are the advantages of using Differential Evolution?

One of the main advantages of Differential Evolution is that it is a simple and easy-to-understand algorithm. It also has a good convergence rate and can handle noisy or non-linear problems. Additionally, it does not require any gradient information, making it suitable for a wide range of optimization problems.

4. What are the limitations of Differential Evolution?

Differential Evolution may not perform well on problems with a large number of variables or with highly complex landscapes. It also requires careful selection of parameters and can be sensitive to the choice of mutation strategies. In some cases, it may also suffer from premature convergence.

5. How is Differential Evolution used in practical applications?

Differential Evolution has been successfully applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, and machine learning. It is commonly used for optimization problems such as parameter estimation, feature selection, and pattern recognition. It has also been used in designing neural networks and for training machine learning models.