German World Cup Official - Kiessling

In summary, the top World Cup official in Berlin, Juergen Kiessling, shot himself in the head just hours after the tournament ended and is now fighting for his life. The reason for his actions is not clear, but there have been some speculations about political problems. Additionally, there was a mystery surrounding an incident between Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final, but Materazzi has since admitted to insulting Zidane. The language of the insults was Italian, and Zidane's response was to defend the honor of his mother and sister. However, there are still some questions about the exact nature of the insults and whether there was a language barrier involved.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
World Cup official shot himself :frown:

Berlin's top World Cup official shot himself in the head just hours after the tournament ended and is now fighting for his life, police say.

Juergen Kiessling, 65, was rushed to hospital from his house in Reinickendorf, a suburb of Berlin, after a neighbour heard the shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5168890.stm

I am speechless. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of only one likely reason.

Was he the one who red-carded Zidane?

Obviously didn't enjoy the final match...

neutrino said:
Was he the one who red-carded Zidane?

That was the Argentine ref Horacio Elizondo (he also sent of Rooney). Kiessling wasn't a referee.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3729633a1823,00.html says Kiessling had "political" problems, but doesn't give much more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now there are two world cup mysteries.

neutrino said:
Now there are two world cup mysteries.

What's the first one?

Physics_wiz said:
What's the first one?
The thing Matterazzi said to Zidane. There are many stories flaoting around, but we haven't heard anything from the donkey's mouth, yet.

Gokul43201 said:
I can think of only one likely reason.

:confused:

That really is unfortunate news. Just remember folks, there are *always* other alternatives. No matter how bad things may seem or may get, there are always alternatives to taking your own life.

"Zidane is my hero and I have always admired him a lot."
said Materazzi! Interesting.

Materazzi denies any insults, Zizou insists Materazzi insulted his mother and sister.

Materazzi isn't denying any insults, he admitted to insulted Zidane but says it had nothing to do with his mother or terrorism.

Has anybody heard what language the insults were in? Is English the international language of pitch insults? Or I wonder if there was a bit of a language problem that made the insult sound like something else... Nah, probably not.

berkeman said:
Has anybody heard what language the insults were in? Is English the international language of pitch insults? Or I wonder if there was a bit of a language problem that made the insult sound like something else... Nah, probably not.
Italian - Zidane speaks a good bit of Italian. He was with Juve for what, 5 years or so? If nothing else, he'd be familiar with all the curses.

Related to German World Cup Official - Kiessling

1. Who is Kiessling and what is his role in the German World Cup?

Kiessling, whose full name is Stefan Kießling, is a retired German professional footballer. He played as a striker for Bayer Leverkusen and was selected to be the official ambassador for the German World Cup team in 2014.

2. How was Kiessling chosen to be the German World Cup Official?

Kiessling was chosen by the German Football Association (DFB) based on his successful career as a player and his positive reputation within the German football community.

3. What responsibilities does Kiessling have as the German World Cup Official?

As the official ambassador, Kiessling's primary responsibility is to represent and promote the German national team during the World Cup. This includes attending events, interacting with fans, and promoting the team through various media platforms.

4. Is Kiessling still involved with the German World Cup team even though he is retired?

No, Kiessling's role as the official ambassador was only for the 2014 World Cup. However, he remains a well-respected figure in German football and is often invited to events and games as a special guest.

5. Has Kiessling's role as the German World Cup Official affected his career in any way?

No, Kiessling's role as the official ambassador was a temporary position and did not have any impact on his playing career. He retired from professional football in 2018.