German courts rule Facebook 'friend finder' unlawful

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    German
In summary, the German highest court ruled that Facebook's "friend finder" feature was unlawful and must be disabled for German users. This decision may have an impact on other companies' practices and raises questions about privacy and competition laws. Some argue that Facebook has become a monster, while others see it as a global corporation colliding with the laws of nation states. The ruling also highlights the need for companies to hire knowledgeable lawyers to navigate different legal systems.
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
So facebook will just disable the feature for German users right?
It may. In the article "In a statement, a spokeswoman for Facebook in Germany said it was waiting to receive the formal decision and would study the findings “to assess any impact on our services”."

Not the "friend finder" is unlawful. Spamming all contacts of one's email account during registration with fb invitations is.

Likes Sophia
I don't know if I personally agree that if it's so serious that if should be against the law.
But the fact is that I don't use fb very much. I only have it because some of my friends almost never use regular email and I have to have fb if I want to be in contact with them.
I post a status or a photo very rarely as I have some serious issues with its privacy policy. That's why I prefer forums like this compared to fb groups. Why do all my friends need to see what I write in a group? Once I didn't realize my friends see my post in a certain group and I got a response from them immediately. It was a positive thing but it was something I wanted to remain secret.
I think that fb was originally an innocent nice idea but it has grown into a monster.

To get back to original question, than more companies have serious problem as well. Like those annoying telemarketing companies, where do they get your phone number from? Or leaflets you get in your physical mailbox all the time. Some of the offers claiming you have won 10,000€ are even filed with your personal info like full name and address while you have NO IDEA how this company got it ! So if German court forbids fb spamming, they should also forbid these other practices. But maybe they are illegal in Germany, I don't know.

Last edited:
Sophia said:
To get back to original question, than more companies have serious problem as well. Like those annoying telemarketing companies, where do they get your phone number from? Or leaflets you get in your physical mailbox all the time. Some of the offers claiming you have won 10,000€ are even filed with your personal info like full name and address while you have NO IDEA how this company got it ! So if German court forbids fb spamming, they should also forbid these other practices. But maybe they are illegal in Germany, I don't know.
Many of those things are illegal or at least of questionable legal status.
And you can write "Bitte keine Werbung einwerfen" ("no advertisements please") on your mailbox, which gets rid of most advertisement stuff.

Likes Sophia
Astronuc said:
Global corporation collides with laws of nation states.
The ruling was basically to protect those companies! When fb contacted non-members without permission via someone else's registration, it is considered as an unlawful advantage vis-à-vis other companies: distortion of competition.

Likes Sophia
mfb said:
"Bitte keine Werbung einwerfen" ("no advertisements please")
I like that!

Sophia said:
I think that fb was originally an innocent nice idea but it has grown into a monster.

Are you kidding, it was a monster from the start, didn't you see "The social network?"

Social_network_film_poster.jpg

Likes Sophia

Related to German courts rule Facebook 'friend finder' unlawful

1. What is the "friend finder" feature on Facebook?

The "friend finder" feature on Facebook is a tool that allows users to search for and connect with their friends on the platform. It suggests friends that users may know based on their email contacts and other connections.

2. Why did German courts rule the "friend finder" feature unlawful?

The German courts ruled the "friend finder" feature unlawful because it violated data protection laws. The feature accessed the contact lists of non-Facebook users without their consent, which was deemed a violation of their privacy rights.

3. What are the potential consequences for Facebook after this ruling?

The potential consequences for Facebook after this ruling include fines and changes to their data collection and privacy policies. They may also face legal action from affected users.

4. Will this ruling affect the "friend finder" feature in other countries?

It is possible that this ruling may have an impact on the "friend finder" feature in other countries, as it sets a precedent for data protection laws. Facebook may need to make changes to the feature in order to comply with different countries' regulations.

5. How can users protect their privacy on Facebook?

Users can protect their privacy on Facebook by carefully reviewing and adjusting their privacy settings. They can also limit the amount of personal information they share on the platform and be cautious about connecting with people they do not know. Additionally, users can report any potential privacy violations to Facebook or relevant authorities.