Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$

In summary, in this conversation, it is stated that $PQRS$ is a square with side $p$, and $A$ and $B$ are points on sides $QR$ and $RS$ respectively, with $\angle APB=45^{\circ}$. The intersections of $AB$ with $PQ$ and $PS$ are denoted as $T$ and $U$ respectively. The problem is to prove that $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$. This problem has been solved by greg1313, with a clear and complete argument.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Suppose that $PQRS$ is a square with side $p$. Let $A$ and $B$ be points on side $QR$ and $RS$ respectively, such that $\angle APB=45^{\circ}$. Let $T$ and $U$ be the intersections of $AB$ with $PQ$ and $PS$ respectively. Prove that $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Suppose that $PQRS$ is a square with side $p$. Let $A$ and $B$ be points on side $QR$ and $RS$ respectively, such that $\angle APB=45^{\circ}$. Let $T$ and $U$ be the intersections of $AB$ with $PQ$ and $PS$ respectively. Prove that $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$.
let $QA=QT=SU=SB=x$
where :$0<x<p$,then :$\angle APB=45^o$
by using $AM\geq GM$
if we can find $0<x<p$ and
$PT+PU=2(p+x)\geq 2\sqrt 2 p---(1)$ then the proof is done
the solution of (1) $x=(\sqrt 2-1)p$

Last edited:
Let \(\displaystyle \angle{QPA}=\angle{BPS}=22.5^{\circ}\). Let \(\displaystyle V\) be the intersection of \(\displaystyle \overline{PR}\) and \(\displaystyle \overline{AB}\). Note that \(\displaystyle \overline{PT}=\overline{PU}\).

\(\displaystyle \triangle{AQT}\cong\triangle{AVR}\cong\triangle{BVR}\cong\triangle{BSU}\) so \(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{PT}\cdot\overline{PU}}{2}=p^2\).

\(\displaystyle \tan(22.5)=\frac{\overline{QA}}{p}=\sqrt{2}-1\implies\overline{PT}=\sqrt2p\implies\overline{TU}=2p\).

\(\displaystyle \left(\overline{PT}+\overline{PU}\right)^2=\overline{PT}^2+4p^2+\overline{PU}^2=\overline{TU}^2+4p^2=8p^2\implies\overline{PT}+\overline{PU}=2\sqrt2p\)

Now, for any acceptable configuration of the problem:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{PT}}{\overline{PU}}+\frac{\overline{PU}}{\overline{PT}}\ge2\) (I can provide a proof of this, if necessary).

\(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{PT}^2+\overline{PU}^2}{\overline{PT}\cdot\overline{PU}}\ge2\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\overline{PT}+\overline{PU}\right)^2\ge4\left(\overline{PT}\cdot\overline{PU}\right)\)

with equality when \(\displaystyle \overline{PT}=\overline{PU}\) hence

\(\displaystyle \overline{PT}+\overline{PU}\ge2\sqrt2p\).
\(\displaystyle \text{ }\)

Hi Albert and greg1313,

Very well done! :cool: And thanks for participating!

I made an error in my post above. It's corrected below.

Let \(\displaystyle \angle{QPA}=\angle{BPS}=22.5^{\circ}\). Let \(\displaystyle V\) be the intersection of \(\displaystyle \overline{PR}\) and \(\displaystyle \overline{AB}\). Note that \(\displaystyle \overline{PT}=\overline{PU}\).

\(\displaystyle \triangle{AQT}\cong\triangle{AVR}\cong\triangle{BVR}\cong\triangle{BSU}\) so \(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{PT}\cdot\overline{PU}}{2}=p^2\).

By the AM-GM inequality we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{PT}+\overline{PU}}{2}\ge\sqrt{\overline{PT}\cdot\overline{PU}}\implies\overline{PT}+\overline{PU}\ge2\sqrt2p\)

Hopefully that's correct. :)

Hi greg1313!

First off, I want to say sorry for I hastily said something that is purely wrong yesterday and I had deleted that nonsense reply. I have read your second submission thoroughly and yes, your second post is more easy to follow and your argument is complete.

Here is the solution of other that I want to share with MHB:
View attachment 4347
The circle centered at $P$ with radius $p$ has a tangent at $Q$, $S$. Let $AB'$ be the tangent at $H$ to the above circle. Then $PA$ is the bisector of $\angle QPH=\alpha$, $PB'$ is the bisector of $\angle HPS=\angle \beta$, and hence we have $\angle APB'=45^{\circ}$ because $\alpha+\beta=90^{\circ}$.

From this, we conclude that $B'=B$.

Thus,

$\begin{align*}PT+PU&=\dfrac{PH}{\cos \alpha}+\dfrac{PH}{\cos \beta}\\&=p\left(\dfrac{1}{\cos \alpha}+\dfrac{1}{\cos \beta}\right)\\& \ge p\left(\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{\cos \alpha \cos \beta}}\right)\\& \ge p\left(\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{\cos \alpha \cos (90^{\circ}-\alpha)}}\right)\\& \ge p\left(\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{\cos \alpha \sin \alpha}}\right)\\& \ge p\left(\dfrac{2\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\sin 2\alpha}}\right)\\& \ge 2\sqrt{2}p\end{align*}$

Equality holds when $\alpha=\beta$, i.e. $\angle QPA=45^{\circ}$

Attachments

• geometry challenge.JPG
    geometry challenge.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 49

Related to Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$

1. What is the meaning of the equation in "Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$"?

The equation represents a mathematical inequality that needs to be proven in order to solve the Geometry Challenge. It involves the sum of two line segments, PT and PU, being greater than or equal to 2 times the square root of 2 multiplied by the length of a third line segment, p.

2. How can one prove the inequality in "Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$"?

There are multiple ways to prove this inequality, but one common method is by using the triangle inequality theorem. This theorem states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. By applying this theorem to the given line segments and using basic algebraic manipulation, the inequality can be proven.

3. Why is it important to prove this inequality in "Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$"?

Proving this inequality is important because it allows us to determine the relationship between the line segments PT, PU, and p. This can be useful in solving various geometry problems and can also provide further insights into the properties of triangles.

4. Are there any special cases where the inequality in "Geometry Challenge: Prove $PT+PU\ge 2\sqrt{2}p$"?

Yes, there are special cases where the inequality may not hold true. For example, if the three line segments form a degenerate triangle (where all three points are collinear), the inequality would not be valid. It is important to keep in mind the conditions under which the inequality can be applied.

5. Can this inequality be extended to other geometric shapes besides triangles?

Yes, this inequality can be extended to other shapes that involve line segments. For example, it can be applied to quadrilaterals, where the sum of two diagonals must be greater than or equal to 2 times the square root of 2 multiplied by the length of a side. However, the proof may differ for different shapes and may require different theorems or concepts.