How Can I Determine the Values of p, q, r, and s in This Mathematical Problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to determine the values of p, q, r, and s given that they are all positive real numbers and satisfy the system of equations. The AM-GM inequality is used to show that $pqrs=81$ is the only possible solution, and therefore $p=q=r=s=3$ is the final answer.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I have encountered a problem and I am not being able to figure out the answer.

Problem:

Given that $p, q, r, s$ are all positive real numbers and they satisfy the system

$p+q+r+s=12$

$pqrs=27+pq+pr+ps+qr+qs+rs$

Determine $p, q, r$ and $s$.

Attempt:

The AM-GM inequality for both $p, q, r, s$ and $pq,pr,ps,qr,qs,rs$ are:

1.$\dfrac{p+q+r+s}{4} \ge \sqrt[4]{pqrs}$ which then gives $(\dfrac{12}{4})^4 \ge pqrs$ or $pqrs \le 81$
2.$\dfrac{pq+pr+ps+qr+qs+rs}{6} \ge \sqrt[6]{(pqrs)^3}$

which then gives $(\dfrac{pqrs-27}{6})^2 \ge pqrs$

$(pqrs-81)(pqrs-81) \ge 0$

$pqrs \le 9$ or $pqrs \ge 81$

After that, I don't see how to proceed...should I conclude that since we need to find $pqrs$ that satisfy both of the inequalities below

$pqrs \le 81$ and $pqrs \ge 81$

$\therefore pqrs=81$ and and obviously the answer would be $p=q=r=s=3$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
On your second AM-GM inequality, you get $(pqrs-81)(pqrs-9) \ge 0$, with the individual inequalities that you found.

In the beginning of the problem, you specified that $p,q,r,s$ are real. Is that correct? If so, I see no way of nailing down all four values, given only two equations. Certainly, $p=q=r=s=3$ works, but what guarantee do we have that there isn't another solution? E.g., try setting $p=q=2$, and solving the resulting system for $r,s$, and see if there is a solution.

[EDIT] See Opalg's post below for a correction.

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

I have encountered a problem and I am not being able to figure out the answer.

Problem:

Given that $p, q, r, s$ are all positive real numbers and they satisfy the system

$p+q+r+s=12$

$pqrs=27+pq+pr+ps+qr+qs+rs$

Determine $p, q, r$ and $s$.

Attempt:

The AM-GM inequality for both $p, q, r, s$ and $pq,pr,ps,qr,qs,rs$ are:

1.$\dfrac{p+q+r+s}{4} \ge \sqrt[4]{pqrs}$ which then gives $(\dfrac{12}{4})^4 \ge pqrs$ or $pqrs \le 81$
2.$\dfrac{pq+pr+ps+qr+qs+rs}{6} \ge \sqrt[6]{(pqrs)^3}$

which then gives $(\dfrac{pqrs-27}{6})^2 \ge pqrs$

$(pqrs-81)(pqrs-81) \ge 0$

$pqrs \le 9$ or $pqrs \ge 81$

After that, I don't see how to proceed...should I conclude that since we need to find $pqrs$ that satisfy both of the inequalities below

$pqrs \le 81$ and $pqrs \ge 81$

$\therefore pqrs=81$ and and obviously the answer would be $p=q=r=s=3$?
It looks as though you have solved this problem. You have shown that either $pqrs\leqslant9$ or $pqrs\geqslant 81$. But the equation $pqrs=27+pq+pr+ps+qr+qs+rs$ shows that $pqrs\geqslant27$, so that rules out the first of those possibilities. We are left with the second one, $pqrs\geqslant 81$. But you have also shown that $pqrs\leqslant 81$. Therefore $pqrs = 81$. That implies that equality occurs in the AM-GM inequality, and that only happens when all four quantities are equal. So $p=q=r=s=3$.

Ackbach said:
On your second AM-GM inequality, you get $(pqrs-81)(pqrs-9) \ge 0$, with the individual inequalities that you found.

In the beginning of the problem, you specified that $p,q,r,s$ are real. Is that correct? If so, I see no way of nailing down all four values, given only two equations. Certainly, $p=q=r=s=3$ works, but what guarantee do we have that there isn't another solution? E.g., try setting $p=q=2$, and solving the resulting system for $r,s$, and see if there is a solution.

[EDIT] See Opalg's post below for a correction.

Thanks Ackbach for your reply.

Opalg said:
...We are left with the second one, $pqrs\geqslant 81$. But you have also shown that $pqrs\leqslant 81$. Therefore $pqrs = 81$. That implies that equality occurs in the AM-GM inequality, and that only happens when all four quantities are equal. So $p=q=r=s=3$.

Hi Opalg, thank you so much for pointing out that equality holds in the AM-GM inequality only if all of the quantities involved are equal...this is something I have totally forgotten about.:eek:

I understand it all now! Thanks guys!

Yes, you are correct. Since $pqrs$ must satisfy both inequalities, the only possible value is $81$. This means that $p=q=r=s=3$ is the only solution to the given system of equations.

Related to How Can I Determine the Values of p, q, r, and s in This Mathematical Problem?

1. What do "p, q, r, and s" represent?

These are variables commonly used in mathematical equations to represent unknown values. They can also represent different factors or components in a scientific experiment or study.

2. How do you determine the values of p, q, r, and s?

The values of these variables can be determined through various methods, such as solving equations, conducting experiments, or analyzing data. It depends on the specific context in which they are being used.

3. Can p, q, r, and s have the same value?

Yes, it is possible for these variables to have the same value. In some cases, they may even be used interchangeably to represent the same concept.

4. Are p, q, r, and s always numerical values?

No, these variables can also represent non-numerical values, such as categories or labels, in certain contexts. For example, in a study on different species of animals, p could represent "mammals," q could represent "birds," r could represent "reptiles," and s could represent "amphibians."

5. Why are p, q, r, and s commonly used in scientific research?

Using variables such as p, q, r, and s allows scientists to generalize their findings and apply them to different scenarios. It also allows for easier communication and understanding among researchers from different fields.