Geometric Understanding of Tensors.

In summary, a beginner has difficulty understanding the abstract concept of a tensor, and can only visualize it as a transformation of a coordinate system. If you can imagine a tensor as a transformation of coordinate units, it may be easier to understand. However, there is no guarantee that this is the case. There are many mathematical details that must be understood in order to understand the physical meaning of a gravitational field. If you are studying physics formally, taking the time and effort to learn the math is likely desirable and necessary. However, if its for hobby and self learning, be prepared for a long effort.
dpa
I am a beginner in theory of GR and am trying to understand it better.

I have a problem with understanding tensors. I got the algebriac idea, incliding covariance, contravariance and transformations etc of tensors. But not the geometric. Tensors are abstract but can I not have geometric interpretation of Tensors like I can have of Vectors.
If I can get image of tensors like I have of vectors, I think they would be far easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
dpa said:

I have a problem with understanding tensors. I got the algebriac idea, incliding covariance, contravariance and transformations etc of tensors. But not the geometric. Tensors are abstract but can I not have geometric interpretation of Tensors like I can have of Vectors.
If I can get image of tensors like I have of vectors, I think they would be far easier.
No guarantee but you can try to imagine tensor as transformation of coordinate system (just picking new coordinate axes). That's for covariant tensors. And contravariant tensor as transformation of coordinate units.

I have been wondering about this myself; just like in your case I totally get the algebra and analysis behind it, but struggling to find a geometrical interpretation. In the special case of a contravariant rank 2 tensor in three dimensions I can sort of visualize the tensor as collection of three vectors, like e.g. in the mechanical stress tensor, representing forces in three spatial directions. When such a tensor acts on a vector, it transforms it into a new vector, like if a physical force had acted on it. This of course isn't mathematically rigorous, but it does help to understand the concept a bit better. Problem is, this doesn't really work for higher-order tensors, or tensors with mixed components.

dpa said:

I know they discuss it in "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne & Wheeler.

I have a problem with understanding tensors... the geometric.

yeah, tell me about it! and, maybe unfortunately, you'll find there is a lot more mathematics to understand...Considering there are only limited exact solutions, I think, to the ten Einstein equations, making physical interpretations is not obvious...if it were, when Einstein developed the equations, he would have found solutions himself and science would not have argued about their meaning for a decade or more. Keep in mind Einstein somehow intuitively understood the physical nature of gravity, and with help from friends found the mathematics to fit...he did NOT derive his fundamental understanding from mathematics to the physcial...nor did anytone else at that time.

If you are studying via formal schooling, taking the time and effort to learn the math
is likely desirable and necessary. If its for hobby and self learning, be prepared for a
long effort. Check some threads here and see the difficulty 'experts' have in reaching specific interpretational agreements and communicating them regarding different aspects of the mathematics.

I only recently discovered in these foums that there is not even an agreed upon definition for a gravitational field...sure it's a 'curvature', but exactly how do you measure it?? There is no single metric [measurement]that takes precedent!

Wikipedia summarizes solutions to the Einstein Field Equations like this:

To get physical results, we can either turn to numerical methods; try to find exact solutions by imposing symmetries; or try middle-ground approaches such as perturbation methods or linear approximations of the Einstein tensor.

See here and decide what you think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_solutions_of_Einstein's_field_equations

Also here's an interesting perspective from Einstein online:

"In part, gravity is an observer artefact: it can be made to vanish by going into free fall. Most of the gravity that we experience here on Earth when we see objects falling to the ground is of this type, which we might call "relative gravity". The remainder of gravity, "intrinsic gravity", if you will, manifests itself in tidal forces, and is associated with a specific property of geometry: The curvature of spacetime."

http://www.einstein-online.info/spotlights/background_independence/?set_language=en

Last edited:

Related to Geometric Understanding of Tensors.

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between vectors and scalars in a geometric space. It is represented by a multi-dimensional array of numbers and can be used to describe physical quantities such as force, stress, and velocity.

2. How is a tensor different from a vector?

A vector is a one-dimensional object that represents a magnitude and direction in space, while a tensor is a multi-dimensional object that represents the relationship between multiple vectors and scalars. A tensor can be thought of as a generalization of a vector in higher dimensions.

3. What is the importance of tensors in physics?

Tensors are essential in describing the laws of physics, especially in the field of general relativity. They are used to represent the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational field. Tensors are also used in other areas of physics, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. How are tensors used in machine learning and data analysis?

Tensors are used in machine learning and data analysis to represent multi-dimensional data. They are particularly useful in deep learning algorithms, as they can efficiently process and manipulate large datasets. Tensors are also used in image processing and natural language processing.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of geometry to understand tensors?

While a basic understanding of geometry is helpful in understanding tensors, it is not necessary. Tensors can be understood and used without a deep understanding of geometry, as long as one has a solid foundation in linear algebra and calculus.