Geometric interpetation of a complex number in R^2

In summary, the geometric interpretation of the sum of two complex numbers in the real world is to plot a point in the real world. However, when graphing the sum of two complex numbers in the complex plane, the x-axis is the real axis and the y-axis is the imaginary axis. The sum of a+bi looks a lot like the sum of a+c+d, which is the sum of a+c+b+d in the real world. So if you are graphing the sum of two complex numbers in the complex plane, you would just plot the vector (a,b) in the real world.
Valhalla
For this problem i am given two complex numbers [tex]Z_1 , Z_2[/tex] and then a third which is the sum of the first two complex numbers [tex] Z_3 [/tex]. I am then asked to find the geometric interpetation of these numbers in [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]. I am fine when graphing them in the complex plane but unsure of what they look like in [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]. Do I just take the real part and graph a point in the [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]? If so how do I determine which axis it would be on? Do you think this might be a typo?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard "complex plane" is to plot the complex number a+ bi as the point (a, b). That is, the x-axis is the "real axis" and the y-axis is the "imaginary axis". It might occur to you that the sum of complex numbers, (a+ bi)+ (c+ di)= (a+c)+ (b+d)i looks a lot like (a+c, b+d), the sum of vectors. And that might lead you to think about a parallelogram.

HallsofIvy said:
The standard "complex plane" is to plot the complex number a+ bi as the point (a, b). That is, the x-axis is the "real axis" and the y-axis is the "imaginary axis". It might occur to you that the sum of complex numbers, (a+ bi)+ (c+ di)= (a+c)+ (b+d)i looks a lot like (a+c, b+d), the sum of vectors. And that might lead you to think about a parallelogram.

Yes, I understand that the complex numbers add like vectors. However, what I am confused about is that I thought that to graph them they needed to be in the complex plane. Like you said the x-axis is the real and the y-axis is the imaginary. When I look at the complex number (a+bi) and consider where that would be on R^2, I get confused.

So if I get what your saying then the complex number (a+bi) would just be the vector (a,b) in R^2? Am I overthinking this?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying!

Ok I think I got it then. Thanks HallsofIvy!

Related to Geometric interpetation of a complex number in R^2

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (i is the imaginary unit).

2. How do you interpret a complex number in the Cartesian plane?

A complex number can be interpreted as a point on the Cartesian plane, with the real part representing the x-coordinate and the imaginary part representing the y-coordinate. This allows for visualization and geometric understanding of complex numbers.

3. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is the distance from the origin to the point representing the complex number on the Cartesian plane. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem as √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary components respectively.

4. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin and the point representing the complex number on the Cartesian plane. It is typically measured in radians or degrees.

5. How do you perform operations on complex numbers in the Cartesian plane?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply add or subtract their real and imaginary components separately. To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method (first, outer, inner, last) and remember that i^2 = -1. To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator and simplify as needed.