Geodesics of a Sphere: Minimizing Integral and Solving for Great Circle Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the geodesics of a sphere using Lagrange multipliers and minimizing the integral of |x-dot|2. It is shown that the desired lambda can be attained by setting the augmented integrand |x-dot|2-lambda*|x|2 to 0.
c299792458

Homework Statement

Hi, just want to get a couple of things straight regarding finding the geodesics of a sphere not using polar coordinates, but rather, Lagrange multipliers...

I want to minimize I = int (|x-dot|2 dt)
subject to the constraint |x|=1 (sphere)
which gives an Euler equation of [itex]\lambda[/itex]x - x-doubledot = 0

I have to show that the Euler equation is actually |x-dot|2x - x-doubledot = 0
Is it right to assume that [itex]\lambda[/itex]=|x-dot|2 simply by the fact that it minimizes I* = int [|x-dot|2 - [itex]\lambda[/itex](|x|2-1)dt] which is [itex]\geq0[/itex], so the [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimizes I* is |x-dot|2?

If I then try to integrate the Euler equation, then I get a SHM equation:

x1= A1 cos(|x-dot| t - C1) where A, C are constants
and similarly for x2, x3

But how do I combine them to give the equation of a great circle, since I don't know the Ci's?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are trying to minimise the following:
[tex]
\int |\dot{x}|^{2}dt
[/tex]
One way to think about this to say that [itex]\dot{x}=0[/itex] which integrates up to [itex]x=\textrm{constant}[/itex] which implies that [itex]|x|^{2}=\textrm{constant}[/itex]. Does that help?

Thanks, hunt_mat,
Why can you take x-dot = 0?

c299792458 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, just want to get a couple of things straight regarding finding the geodesics of a sphere not using polar coordinates, but rather, Lagrange multipliers...

I want to minimize I = int (|x-dot|2 dt)
subject to the constraint |x|=1 (sphere)
which gives an Euler equation of [itex]\lambda[/itex]x - x-doubledot = 0

I have to show that the Euler equation is actually |x-dot|2x - x-doubledot = 0
Is it right to assume that [itex]\lambda[/itex]=|x-dot|2 simply by the fact that it minimizes I* = int [|x-dot|2 - [itex]\lambda[/itex](|x|2-1)dt] which is [itex]\geq0[/itex], so the [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimizes I* is |x-dot|2?

If I then try to integrate the Euler equation, then I get a SHM equation:

x1= A1 cos(|x-dot| t - C1) where A, C are constants
and similarly for x2, x3

But how do I combine them to give the equation of a great circle, since I don't know the Ci's?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Your formulation is incorrect: it should be [itex] \min \int |\dot{x}(t)|^2 dt [/itex], subject to [itex] |x(t)|^2 = 1 \; \forall t [/itex]. So, basically, you have infinitely many constraints, one for each t.

RGV

c299792458 said:
Thanks, hunt_mat,
Why can you take x-dot = 0?
Because
[tex]
\int |\dot{x}(t)|^{2}dt\geqslant 0
[/tex]
for all t and so it must be smallest when the integrand is identically zero.

hunt_mat said:
Because
[tex]
\int |\dot{x}(t)|^{2}dt\geqslant 0
[/tex]
for all t and so it must be smallest when the integrand is identically zero.

I guess I meant how does one know that 0 is attained? Also, I believe I was given that |x|^2 =1 (constant)
However does your suggestion mean that I can set the augmented integrand |x-dot|2-lamda*|x|2 to 0? then I will have the desired lamda = |x-dot|2 ?

Last edited:
Problem resolved! Thanks everyone.

Related to Geodesics of a Sphere: Minimizing Integral and Solving for Great Circle Equation

1. What is a geodesic of a sphere?

A geodesic of a sphere is the shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere. It can also be described as a curve on a sphere that follows the surface's curvature and has the minimum possible length between any two points.

2. How are geodesics of a sphere calculated?

Geodesics of a sphere are calculated using the principles of spherical trigonometry and differential geometry. This involves using the radius and coordinates of the sphere's center, as well as the latitude and longitude of the two points to determine the shortest distance between them.

3. What is the significance of geodesics of a sphere?

Geodesics of a sphere have many practical applications, such as navigation and mapping. They are also important in mathematics and physics, as they represent the shortest paths in curved spaces and play a role in theories of relativity and cosmology.

4. Can geodesics of a sphere intersect?

Yes, geodesics of a sphere can intersect at points where the surface's curvature changes. However, these intersections are not true crossings, as geodesics are always continuous curves on the surface of a sphere.

5. How do geodesics of a sphere relate to the Earth's surface?

The Earth's surface is essentially a sphere, so geodesics of a sphere are also applicable to it. However, the Earth's shape is not a perfect sphere, so the calculations for geodesics must take into account its irregularities. This is important for accurate navigation and mapping of the Earth's surface.