Generating the Borel-algebra from half-open intervals

• Thread starter dane502
  • Start date
  • Tags
    intervals
In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about showing that the Borel-algebra can be generated from the set of half-open intervals of the form [a , b) where a<b. The speaker initially thought that the set of open intervals of the form (a,b) would also generate the Borel-algebra, but quickly realized that this was not the case. They then asked for direction and received help in the form of writing the open intervals as a union of half-open intervals. The conversation ended with the speaker acknowledging their initial mistake and thanking the other person for their help.
dane502
Hi everybody!

I have been asked to show that the Borel-algebra can be generated from the set of half-open intervals of the form [a , b) where a<b.

I know that the set of open intervals of the form (a,b) where a<b generates the Borel-algebra and thought I would go about showing that the to sets generates the same δ-algebra. But that has proven more difficult than I thought.

Can anybody give me an direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
dane502

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write the open intervals as a union of halfopen intervals?

dane502 said:
Hi everybody!

I have been asked to show that the Borel-algebra can be generated from the set of half-open intervals of the form [a , b) where a<b.

I know that the set of open intervals of the form (a,b) where a<b generates the Borel-algebra and thought I would go about showing that the to sets generates the same δ-algebra. But that has proven more difficult than I thought.

Can anybody give me an direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
dane502

micromass said:
Can you write the open intervals as a union of halfopen intervals?

Thank you for your answer.

No, the half-open intervals has to be on the form of [a,b), so any union of those half-open intervals (that is not disjoint) will also have form [a,b).

dane502 said:
Thank you for your answer.

No, the half-open intervals has to be on the form of [a,b), so any union of those half-open intervals (that is not disjoint) will also have form [a,b).

Sure of that?

Think of

[tex]\bigcup [a-1/n,b)[/tex]

micromass said:
Think of

[tex]\bigcup [a-1/n,b)[/tex]

Thank you. Somehow I missed that.

Related to Generating the Borel-algebra from half-open intervals

1. What is the Borel-algebra?

The Borel-algebra is a mathematical concept used in measure theory to describe a collection of sets that can be "measured" in a consistent way. It is named after French mathematician Émile Borel and is an important tool in probability theory and analysis.

2. How is the Borel-algebra generated from half-open intervals?

The Borel-algebra is generated by taking all possible combinations of half-open intervals on the real number line. This means that every set in the Borel-algebra can be expressed as a union or intersection of half-open intervals.

3. Why are half-open intervals used to generate the Borel-algebra?

Half-open intervals are used because they are a simple and efficient way to create a collection of sets that is closed under taking unions, intersections, and complements. This allows for a comprehensive and consistent measure to be defined on the Borel-algebra.

4. How is the Borel-algebra related to probability theory?

The Borel-algebra is closely related to probability theory as it provides a framework for defining probability measures on a set of events. This allows for the calculation of probabilities for a variety of different scenarios and is a fundamental concept in understanding randomness and uncertainty.

5. What are the practical applications of the Borel-algebra?

The Borel-algebra has many practical applications in fields such as statistics, finance, and physics. It is used to define and manipulate probability distributions, measure the likelihood of events, and analyze random processes. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts such as Lebesgue integration and stochastic calculus.