Generating EMF in a Coil with a Bar Magnet - 65 Characters

In summary, when a bar magnet is moved in a coil of wire, it generates an EMF which causes electrons to move and creates a current. This current can be calculated using Ohm's law to determine the wattage that can be generated, which depends on various factors such as wire diameter and magnet strength.
brian.green
Exactly what and how generate EMF in a coil when I move a bar magnet in it? How the changing magnetic field makes electrons to move? (I mean quantum mechanically.)
As I read somewhere when I close the circuit (put a load, a LED for example on the coil) the generated current in the coil will be "curled" but what does it mean visually? Electrons go around and around in a small circle path? How far these electrons can move in the wire at all?
How can I calculate the wattage what I can generate, what is the equation? (wire diameter, turn on the coil, strength of the magnet (the B field), velocity of the magnet, angel between the coil and the magnetic field...)

Physics news on Phys.org
When a bar magnet is moved in a coil of wire, it generates a changing magnetic field which causes electrons to move in the wire. This movement of electrons is known as an electromotive force (EMF).Quantum mechanically, the EMF arises from the quantum mechanical spin-orbit coupling between the electrons and the changing magnetic field, causing the electrons to move in the direction of the field.The current generated in the coil due to this EMF is said to be "curled" because the electrons move in a small circle path. The distance the electrons can travel in the wire depends on the resistance of the wire.The wattage that can be generated can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage (V) across a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). Therefore, the wattage that can be generated is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current:Wattage = V x IThe parameters that affect the wattage generated include the wire diameter, the number of turns on the coil, the strength of the magnet, the velocity of the magnet, and the angle between the coil and the magnetic field.

Related to Generating EMF in a Coil with a Bar Magnet - 65 Characters

1. How does a bar magnet generate EMF in a coil?

When a bar magnet moves near a coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an electric current in the coil, thus generating an EMF (electromotive force).

2. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the EMF generated?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the EMF generated in the coil. A stronger magnetic field will induce a greater electric current in the coil.

3. Does the speed of the magnet affect the EMF generated in the coil?

Yes, the faster the magnet moves, the greater the change in the magnetic field and therefore the greater the EMF generated in the coil.

4. Can the direction of the magnet's movement affect the direction of the induced current?

Yes, the direction of the induced current in the coil is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field, which is affected by the direction of the magnet's movement.

5. What factors can affect the amount of EMF generated in a coil with a bar magnet?

Some factors that can affect the amount of EMF generated in a coil with a bar magnet include the strength of the magnet, speed of movement, number of turns in the coil, and distance between the magnet and the coil.