Generalized momentum and Hamiltonian over a non inertial reference frame

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass m studied over a rotating reference frame with angular velocity \dot\phi=\omega. The potential due to inertial forces can be written as V=\omega \cdot L-\frac{1}{2}m(\omega\times r)^2, where L is the angular momentum round the origin O. The conversation then delves into determining the generalized moments using different coordinate systems and using the corresponding Legendre transformation to find the Hamiltonian. Ultimately, the Hamiltonian is found to be H=H_0-\omega \cdot L, where H0 is the Hamiltonian for a free particle. The conversation also touches on the confusion and mistakes made in finding the correct Hamiltonian, but ultimately
Telemachus
Hi there. I need help to work this out.

A particle with mass m is studied over a rotating reference frame, which rotates along the OZ axis with angular velocity [tex]\dot\phi=\omega[/tex], directed along OZ. It is possible to prove that the potential (due to inertial forces) can be written as:
[tex]V=\omega \cdot L-\frac{1}{2}m(\omega\times r)^2[/tex]
L denotes the angular momentum round the origin O. Determine:
a) The generalized moment taking as generalized coordinates the cartesian coordinates (X,Y,Z) taken over the rotating system.
b) The generalized moment taking as generalized coordinates the cylindrical coordinates [tex](\rho,\phi,Z)[/tex] taken over the rotating system.
c) Use the corresponding Legendre transformation, assuming there are no additional forces to find the Hamiltonian. Demonstrate that the Hamiltonian is:
[tex]H=H_0-\omega \cdot L[/tex]
Where H0 is the hamiltonian for a free particle.

Excuse my english :P

I don't know how to start. I've tried making a transform from x', y',z' inertial coordinates, using a rotation. Let's say:
[tex]x'=X \cos\phi-Ysin\phi[/tex]
[tex]y'=Y\cos\phi+X\sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]z'=Z[/tex]

Should I just use this transformation to get the kinetic energy and then just set L=T-V?

Thanks for your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Delete.

Last edited:
Alright, it was easier than what I thought. The fictitious potential contained all the terms that appear considering the velocity over the non inertial reference frame. So all what I had to do was [tex]T=\frac{m}{2}(\dot x^2+\dot y^2)[/tex]

I had to use the transformation to realize about it, but I think that what I did is quiet correct. Anyway, I couldn't completely verify the equality in c), I neither did b). On c), I get something that looks pretty much like what it gives, but I've probably made some algebra mistake somewhere, and I get an extra term [tex]H=H_0-\omega \cdot L+\frac{m \omega^2}{2}(x^2+y^2)[/tex]

Anyone?

From the transformation I got:
[tex]\dot x^2+\dot y^2=\dot x'^2+\dot y'^2-2\omega \dot x'^2y'+2\omega \dot y'x'+\omega^2(x'^2+y'^2)[/tex]

Thats the square of the velocity for a particle moving on the rotating frame with a speed [tex]\dot x+\dot y[/tex] with respect to the rotating frame, measured from the inertial reference frame.

Last edited:
I finally got what I was looking for, but I'm not sure why. I had to use in the first place the lagrangian obtained using the fictitious potential. From this lagrangian I've obtained the generalized momentums with respect to the rotating frame. That cofuesed me a little bit, because I had moments with respect to both reference frames, I wasn't sure to which corresponded the ones that appeared in the fictitious potential, but now I'm pretty sure those correspond to the moments taken in the inertial reference frame. Once I got the generalized moments, using the lagrangian with the fictitious potential, I had to construct the Hamiltonian, using those moments, but when considering the lagrangian I just had to consider the lagrangian without the fictitious potential. I think that information is already given in the generalized moments. When I was constructing the hamiltonian that I have previously posted, I was considering the Lagrangian as the one with the fictitious potential included. But the result is obtained by considering the lagrangian without that potential, with the kinetic energy just as the sum of the components:
[tex]\dot x+\dot y[/tex]

That is: [tex]H=p_x \dot x+p_y \dot y-\frac{m}{2}(\dot x^2+\dot y^2)[/tex]
Where the momentums are obtained from the Lagrangian with the fictitious potential.

Assuming there is no other potential energy. In that way I obtain the result given by the exercise. I realized about it because just in that way I don't get the extra terms, but I didn't get the more profound reasoning on why it must be done this way, on a deeper physical sense. In the first place I thought of using the fictitious potential in the lagrangian for this hamiltonian, but it's like some combination of things, which confuses me a bit.

I am happy to assist you with your question. Let's break down the problem into smaller parts to better understand it.

First, let's define some terms. Generalized momentum is a concept in classical mechanics that describes the momentum of a particle in terms of generalized coordinates, rather than just the traditional Cartesian coordinates. In a non-inertial reference frame, the concept of momentum becomes more complicated as there are additional forces acting on the particle due to the rotation of the reference frame.

The Hamiltonian is a function that describes the total energy of a system in terms of its generalized coordinates and momenta. It is a key concept in Hamiltonian mechanics, a branch of classical mechanics that deals with systems with many degrees of freedom.

Now, let's look at the problem at hand. We are studying a particle with mass m over a rotating reference frame. The potential due to inertial forces can be written as V=\omega \cdot L-\frac{1}{2}m(\omega\times r)^2, where \omega is the angular velocity of the rotating reference frame and L is the angular momentum of the particle around the origin O.

a) To determine the generalized momentum in terms of Cartesian coordinates, we can use the equations of motion in a rotating reference frame, which take into account the additional forces due to the rotation. These equations can be derived from the Lagrangian formalism, which is a mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of a system. The resulting generalized momentum will be in terms of the Cartesian coordinates (X, Y, Z).

b) To determine the generalized momentum in terms of cylindrical coordinates, we can use the same approach as in part a), but with the cylindrical coordinates (\rho, \phi, Z) instead. This will result in a different expression for the generalized momentum.

c) To find the Hamiltonian, we can use the Legendre transformation, which relates the Lagrangian to the Hamiltonian. This transformation takes into account the generalized momenta and coordinates. By assuming there are no additional forces acting on the particle, we can use the Hamiltonian to describe the total energy of the system. In this case, the Hamiltonian will be given by H=H_0-\omega \cdot L, where H_0 is the Hamiltonian for a free particle.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equations of motion and the Lagrangian formalism to derive the generalized momenta in terms of the

Related to Generalized momentum and Hamiltonian over a non inertial reference frame

1. What is Generalized Momentum?

Generalized momentum is a concept in classical mechanics that is similar to the concept of momentum, but it takes into account the rotational motion of a system. It is defined as the product of the mass and the velocity of a particle, along with the angular momentum of the particle.

2. How is Generalized Momentum different from regular momentum?

Regular momentum only takes into account the linear motion of a particle, while generalized momentum also takes into account the angular motion. It is a more comprehensive measure of the motion of a particle, and is necessary when dealing with non-inertial reference frames.

3. What is a non-inertial reference frame?

A non-inertial reference frame is a frame of reference in which Newton's laws of motion do not hold true. In other words, the laws of physics appear to be different in this frame of reference. Examples of non-inertial frames include rotating frames and accelerating frames.

4. Why is it important to consider non-inertial reference frames when dealing with Generalized Momentum and Hamiltonian?

In classical mechanics, the equations of motion are typically derived in inertial reference frames. However, many real-world situations involve non-inertial reference frames. In these cases, the use of generalized momentum and Hamiltonian allows us to accurately describe the motion and dynamics of a system, even in non-inertial frames.

5. What is the Hamiltonian over a non-inertial reference frame?

The Hamiltonian over a non-inertial reference frame is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a system in a non-inertial frame. It takes into account both the kinetic and potential energies of the system, as well as any inertial forces that may be present. It is a useful tool for analyzing the dynamics of a system in non-inertial frames.