Finding a Local Inertial Frame

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a local inertial frame for a given metric. The attempt at a solution involves transforming the coordinates and setting the metric to equal η at a particular point. However, the first derivatives with respect to the transformed coordinates do not vanish, even with an arbitrary velocity. The question is raised about whether the primed coordinate curves are geodesics, and it is suggested to look at coordinates centered on the particular point under consideration.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award

Homework Statement

I am trying to find a local inertial frame for the following metric:

[itex]ds^2 = -(1+\Phi(x))dt^2 + (1-\Phi(x))dx^2[/itex]

I can get the transformed metric to equate to η at any point, but I can't get the first derivates wrt the transformed coordinates to vanish.

Homework Equations

Co-ordinate transformations.

The Attempt at a Solution

With a transformation of the form:

##t = \frac{\gamma}{a}(t' + vx') \ , \ x = \frac{\gamma}{b}(vt' + x')##

And setting ##a= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\Phi(x_p)}}## and ##b= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\Phi(x_p)}}## for a particular point ##x_p## I get

##g'_{αβ} = η## as required

I've got my one degree of freedom, in terms of the arbitrary velocity ##v## to try to make the first derivative of ##g'## wrt ##x'## vanish. But, for example, I get:

##g'_{00} = \gamma^2(-\frac{(1+\Phi(x))}{a^2} + \frac{v^2(1-\Phi(x))}{b^2})##

Giving:

##\frac{\partial g'_{00}}{\partial x' } = - \frac{\gamma^3}{b} \Phi '(x) (\frac{1}{a^2} + \frac{v^2}{b^2})##

Which is not going away. The general argument is that one can always find ccordinates where all the first derivates vanish, but I don't see it in this case.

This was an example I set myself to try to see how the general process of finding a local IRF worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are your primed coordinate curves geodesics? For example, if ##x_p## is the event labeled by ##\left( x' , t' \right) = \left( 0 , 0 \right)##, are the curves ##t' = 0## and ##x' = 0## geodesics?

George Jones said:
Are your primed coordinate curves geodesics? For example, if ##x_p## is the event labeled by ##\left( x' , t' \right) = \left( 0 , 0 \right)##, are the curves ##t' = 0## and ##x' = 0## geodesics?

The primed co-ordinates have the same origin as the unprimed. Should I look instead at primed co-ordinates centred on ##x_p##?

Related to Finding a Local Inertial Frame

1. What is a local inertial frame?

A local inertial frame is a reference frame where the laws of physics hold true without any additional forces acting on objects. In other words, it is a frame of reference where objects appear to be at rest or moving at a constant velocity, with no acceleration or rotation.

2. Why is it important to find a local inertial frame?

It is important to find a local inertial frame because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects without the influence of external forces. This is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

3. How do we determine a local inertial frame?

A local inertial frame can be determined by observing the motion of objects in the reference frame. If the objects appear to be at rest or moving at a constant velocity, then it can be considered a local inertial frame. Additionally, the effects of external forces can be minimized or eliminated through proper experimental design and control.

4. Can a local inertial frame exist in a non-inertial reference frame?

No, a local inertial frame can only exist in an inertial reference frame. In a non-inertial reference frame, objects will experience additional forces such as centrifugal force or Coriolis force, which will prevent the frame from being considered inertial.

5. How does Einstein's theory of relativity affect the concept of a local inertial frame?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that a local inertial frame is valid in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative motion. Additionally, this theory also explains how gravity can affect the concept of a local inertial frame, as it can cause objects to appear to accelerate in the absence of external forces.