General true of false questions about vector function in calc 3

In summary, we discussed the derivative of a vector function, the relationship between the derivative of the magnitude of a vector and the derivative of the vector itself, the definition and properties of the binormal vector, the meaning of k(t) = 0 for all t, and the relationship between the magnitude of a vector and its derivative. We also mentioned that different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point.
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

a. the derivative of a vector function is obtained by differentiating each component function
b. if r(t) is a differentiable vector function, then d/dt the magnitude of r(t) = the magnitude of r'(t)
c. the binormal vector is B(t) =N(t)xT(t)
d. if k(t)=0 for all t, the curve is a straight line
e. if the magnitude of r(t)=1, then r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t
f. different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point on the curve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think:
a is T
b is F
c i have no idea about what binormal vector is. is it a vector that is orthogonal to both two vectors? if so the cross product would give a vector that is orthogonal to both vectors. so c would be T, i am not quite sure about this one
d i have no idea
e i have no idea
f i think it's T, because although its different parametrizations, the curve is still the same . therefore, the tangent lines at a given point are the same

Physics news on Phys.org
zhuyilun said:

Homework Statement

a. the derivative of a vector function is obtained by differentiating each component function
b. if r(t) is a differentiable vector function, then d/dt the magnitude of r(t) = the magnitude of r'(t)
c. the binormal vector is B(t) =N(t)xT(t)
d. if k(t)=0 for all t, the curve is a straight line
e. if the magnitude of r(t)=1, then r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t) for all t
f. different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point on the curve

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think:
a is T
b is F
c i have no idea about what binormal vector is. is it a vector that is orthogonal to both two vectors? if so the cross product would give a vector that is orthogonal to both vectors. so c would be T, i am not quite sure about this one
Yes, the binormal B is perpendicular to (normal to) the other two vectors.
zhuyilun said:
d i have no idea
What does k(t) represent? Isn't it the curvature? If so, what does it mean to say that k(t) = 0 for all t?
zhuyilun said:
e i have no idea
If |r(t)| = 1, what sort of curve do you have?
zhuyilun said:
f i think it's T, because although its different parametrizations, the curve is still the same . therefore, the tangent lines at a given point are the same

Mark44 said:
Yes, the binormal B is perpendicular to (normal to) the other two vectors.

What does k(t) represent? Isn't it the curvature? If so, what does it mean to say that k(t) = 0 for all t?

k(t) is the curvature, therefore, i got T'(t)=o, but what does that tell me?

If |r(t)| = 1, what sort of curve do you have?

i think i got a circle/sphere, therefore, does that necessarily mean r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t)?

btw, is my answer to the last question right?
thank you

Related to General true of false questions about vector function in calc 3

What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that maps a set of inputs to a set of vectors. It can be represented in the form of f(t) = <a(t), b(t), c(t)> where a(t), b(t), and c(t) are scalar functions of a variable t.

What is the domain of a vector function?

The domain of a vector function is the set of all values that the independent variable t can take. It determines the range of possible inputs for the function.

Can a vector function have multiple outputs for a single input?

Yes, a vector function can have multiple outputs for a single input. This is because the range of a vector function is a set of vectors, which can have multiple components.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector function?

A scalar function returns a single scalar value for a given input, while a vector function returns a vector of values for a given input. In other words, a scalar function has a one-dimensional range, while a vector function has a multi-dimensional range.

What is the significance of the derivative of a vector function?

The derivative of a vector function represents the rate of change of the vector with respect to the independent variable t. It can also be interpreted as the velocity or acceleration of a particle moving along the path described by the vector function.