General solution to PDE: f(x-y) = g(y-x) for arbitrary functions f and g?

In summary, the conversation discusses the general solution of a partial differential equation, which can be represented as u(x,y) = f(x-y) or u(x,y) = g(y-x), where f and g are arbitrary functions. These two representations are equivalent and can be freely switched because f(x-y) = f(-(y-x)), which can also be represented as g(y-x). This is due to the nature of odd and even functions, but these special functions are not the only ones that can be used to represent the general solution.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

Quote:
" PDE: ∂u/∂x + ∂u/∂y = 0
The general solution is u(x,y) = f(x-y) where f is an arbitrary function.
Alternatively, we can also say that the general solution is u(x,y) = g(y-x) where g is an arbitrary function. The two answers are equivalent since u(x,y) = g(y-x) = f[-(x-y)] "

I don't see why the two different representations above [u(x,y) = f(x-y) and u(x,y) = g(y-x)] would describe exactly the SAME general solution. Why can we freely switch the order of x and y?
Also, I don't understand why u(x,y) = g(y-x) = f[-(x-y)].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of odd and even functions? But I don't think the quote is meant to restrict only to these special functions...

Thanks for any help!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe looking at an example will help you. Say you have the general solution f(x-y) and I claim the general solution is g(y-x). So you say, look, I can get exp(x-y) by taking f(x-y)=exp(x-y).

I say, so can I. I will take g(y-x) = exp(-(y-x))

It's because f(x-y) = f(-(y-x)) which I can call g(y-x). Clear as mud?

Related to General solution to PDE: f(x-y) = g(y-x) for arbitrary functions f and g?

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a general solution to a PDE?

A general solution to a PDE is a solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variables. It is often expressed in terms of arbitrary functions and constants.

3. How is a general solution to a PDE different from a particular solution?

A particular solution to a PDE is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for given initial or boundary conditions. It is obtained by substituting specific values for the arbitrary functions and constants in the general solution.

4. Can any PDE be solved with a general solution?

No, not all PDEs have a general solution. Some PDEs may only have particular solutions or no solutions at all. The existence and uniqueness of solutions to PDEs depend on the specific equation and initial or boundary conditions.

5. How can the general solution to a PDE be used in practical applications?

The general solution to a PDE can be used to find particular solutions for specific cases, which can then be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields. It also serves as a basis for more complex solutions and can help in understanding the behavior of a system described by the PDE.