General Solution of PDE yux+xuy=yu+xex: Existence and Infinite Solutions

• Thread starter fderingoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for the equation yux+xuy=yu+xex in the form of u(x,y)=yex+f(y2-x2)ex. It is mentioned that if the initial value of u(x,y) on the upper half of the hyperbola is given as φ, there is no solution unless φ is a special form. It is also stated that there are infinite solutions in this situation and the method of characteristics is suggested to find the solution. One person mentions trying the method of characteristics, but is unable to find the solution.
fderingoz
find the general solution of yux+xuy=yu+xex ( the solution is in the form of u(x,y)=yex+f(y2-x2)ex )
if at first the value of u(x,y) on the upper half of hyperbola (that is y>=1) has been given as φ,show that if φ has not been given as a special form there is no solution.find that special form of φ and show there is infinite solution in this situation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for your advice
i tried the method of characteristics,but i can not find the solution :blushing:

The characteristic equations are
[tex]
\dot{x}=y,\quad\dot{y}=x,\quad\dot{u}=yu+xe^{x}
[/tex]
then the characteristic are given as [tex]dy/dx=x/y[/tex]. Then this integrates up to [tex]f(x,y)=C[/tex]. Then use [tex]du/dx=\dot{u}/\dot{x}[/tex] and integrate up.

Mat

i found the general solution of the equation. thanks for your helps
but i can't understand anything rest of the question.i am waiting for your helps.

Related to General Solution of PDE yux+xuy=yu+xex: Existence and Infinite Solutions

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. PDEs are used to model complex physical, biological, and social systems.

2. How do you solve a PDE?

The solution of a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation and boundary conditions. This can be done analytically using various techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, or numerically using computational methods like finite difference or finite element methods.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear PDE?

A linear PDE is one in which the unknown function and its derivatives appear in a linear manner, while a nonlinear PDE involves nonlinear terms such as products or powers of the unknown function and its derivatives. Solving nonlinear PDEs is generally more challenging than linear PDEs.

4. Can PDEs be used to model real-world problems?

Yes, PDEs are commonly used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, population dynamics, and financial markets. They are particularly useful for systems that vary continuously in space and time.

5. What are some applications of PDEs in science and engineering?

PDEs have numerous applications in science and engineering, including predicting weather patterns, designing aircraft and automobile bodies, simulating electronic circuits, and developing medical imaging techniques. They are also used in fields such as economics, sociology, and ecology to model complex systems.