General Solution Differential Equation (integrating factors)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for the equation xy' - 2y = 3x using integrating factors. The attempt involves finding the integrating factor, integrating M and N to get ψ(x,y), and differentiating with respect to y to get N, resulting in the solution ψ = -3x^2y - 3x^3 + c.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

find the general solution using integrating factors.
xy' - 2y = 3x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x(dy/dx) = 3x + 2y
x*dy = (3x + 2y)dx
(-3x + 2y)dx + xdy = 0

My = -3x + 2
Nx = 1
Not Exact (hence the use of integrating factors)

μ(x)(-3x + 2y)dx + μ(x)xdy = 0

Differentiating with respect to y for M and x for N
μ(x)(-3x + 2) = μ'(x)x + μ(x)

trying to simplify
-3xμ(x) + 2μ(x) - μ(x) = μ'(x)
-3xμ(x) - μ(x) = μ'(x)

-μ(x)(3x - 1) = μ'(x)

I know I need to solve for μ(x) to multiply M and N by, I am not sure if I have done everything correct up until now. I assume that I possibly just need a little help with the algebra to be able to set up an integral to solve for μ(x) but I am not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure if I missed something from the beginning or am almost there. Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized I did My wrong, re-trying now.

Second attempt:

Equations:
F = e∫P(x)dx
P(x) = 1/N*(My - Nx)
ψx = M ψy = N

Attempt:
xy' - 2y = 3x
-2y - 3x + xy' = 0
My = -2 Nx = 1
1/N(My - Nx)
1/x(-2 - 1)
3x-1
∫3x-1dx → -3ln|x|
e-3ln|x| = -3x

integrating factor = -3x

(-3x)(-2y - 3x) + (-3x)xy' = 0
(-6xy - 9x2) - (3x2)y' = 0
My = -6x Ny = -6x EXACT

Integrating M to get ψ(x,y)
∫ψxdx = ∫-6xy - 9x2dx
ψ(x,y) = -3x2y - 3x3 + f(y)

Differentiate with respect to y to get N
ψy = -3x2 + f'(y)
where N = ψy
-3x2 = -3x2 + f'(y)
0 = f'(y) → ∫f'(y)dy = ∫dx
f(y) = c

ψ = -3x2y - 3x3 + c

I think I did everything right. I'm not sure if this is the correct answer or not any help or checking of my work would be appreciated thanks.

Related to General Solution Differential Equation (integrating factors)

What is a general solution differential equation?

A general solution differential equation is an equation that represents a family of solutions rather than a single solution. It contains one or more arbitrary constants that can take on different values to represent different solutions.

What is an integrating factor in a differential equation?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a differential equation to make it easier to solve. It helps to convert a non-exact equation into an exact equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

How do you find the integrating factor for a differential equation?

To find the integrating factor for a differential equation, you first need to identify the type of equation you are dealing with (exact or non-exact). Then, you can use various techniques such as the method of integrating factors or the Bernoulli method to determine the integrating factor.

What is the difference between a particular solution and a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies all of the given initial conditions. It is unique and does not contain any arbitrary constants. On the other hand, a general solution is a family of solutions that contains one or more arbitrary constants and can be used to represent multiple solutions to a differential equation.

What are some real-life applications of general solution differential equations?

General solution differential equations can be used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to predict the behavior of systems over time.