General Solution and Transient Terms

In summary, the given differential equation is x(dy/dx) + 2y = 3 and the general solution is y = 3/2. The largest interval over which the general solution is defined is x > 0. There are no transient terms in the general solution.
Geofram

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the given differential equation. Give the largest interval over which the general solution is defined. Determine whether there are any transient terms in the general solution.

Homework Equations

x(dy/dx) + 2y = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

Divide by x:
dy/dx + (2/x)y = 3/x

The integrating factor would be e2lnx or x2?

Multiplying by IF:

x2(dy/dx) + 2xy = 3x

d(x2y)/dx = 3x

Integrating both sides:

x2y = (3/2)x2

Dividing by x2:

y = 3/2

I've never had a solution like this, which leads me to believe I've done something wrong. If not, would the interval still be x>0? And is 3/2 a transient term since every solution would point to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you agree that

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3-2y}{x} [/tex] ?

Then separate the variables and integrate correctly (don't forget about the integration constant).

One moment, have to work this out on paper!

Alright, using the separation method I got:

x/dx = (3 - 2y )/dy

Integrate both sides:

x2/2 + C = 3y - y2

Now I'm just not sure how to get it in a form that would allow me to figure out the interval and transient terms.

Geofram said:
Alright, using the separation method I got:

x/dx = (3 - 2y )/dy

Integrate both sides:

x2/2 + C = 3y - y2

Now I'm just not sure how to get it in a form that would allow me to figure out the interval and transient terms.

This is a little topsy-turvy. You should set this up as
[tex]\frac{dy}{3-2y} = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
and then integrate.

Related to General Solution and Transient Terms

1. What is meant by a general solution in scientific terms?

A general solution refers to the complete set of possible solutions to a scientific problem or equation. It takes into account all possible variables and parameters, and provides a broad overview of the potential outcomes.

2. How does a general solution differ from a specific solution?

A specific solution is a unique and precise answer to a scientific problem or equation, whereas a general solution provides a more general and overarching understanding of all potential solutions.

3. What is the significance of transient terms in a general solution?

Transient terms refer to the time-dependent factors in a general solution. They represent the initial conditions and how the solution changes over time, providing insight into the dynamics of a system.

4. Can transient terms be ignored in a general solution?

No, transient terms should not be ignored as they are crucial in understanding the behavior and evolution of a system. They provide valuable information about how the system changes over time and can affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. How can a general solution be applied in real-world scenarios?

General solutions are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They can help in understanding natural phenomena, designing experiments, and making informed decisions.