General Relativity - FRW Metric - FRW Equations show that ...

In summary: I'm getting a bit confused since it says ##k=-1,0,1## , but since the question doesn't specify whether ##\Lamda## is ##>0## or ##<0## there is no need to/no way to narrow down this further.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

cosmobaby.png

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the conservation equation for ##p=0##

I find: ##\rho =\frac{ \rho_0}{a^3}##; (I am told this is ##\geq0## , is ##a\geq0## so here I can conclude that ##\rho_0 \geq =0 ## or not?)

Plugging this and ##p=0## into the first Einstein equation I get:

##\dot{a^2}+k-\Lambda a^2=\frac{8\pi G \rho_0}{a}##

So a stationary solution is to solve for ##a## and get no time independence, so don't we need something of the form:

##\frac{da}{dt} a^k =0## or can I find a more general expression to this?

This is ofc not possible to get since ##\Lambda## and ##k## are constants and can not depend on ##a##?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In a time independent solution, a is constant, so Λ and k can depend on a and still be constant.

phyzguy said:
In a time independent solution, a is constant, so Λ and k can depend on a and still be constant.

mmm

so ##k=8 \pi G \rho_0 / a ## and ##\Lambda =0 ## ?

binbagsss said:
so ##k=8 \pi G \rho_0 / a ## and ##\Lambda =0 ## ?

How did you conclude Λ=0? Remember k = 0, +/-1.

phyzguy said:
How did you conclude Λ=0? Remember k = 0, +/-1.

##k=0## and ##\Lambda = \frac{-8\pi G \rho_0}{a}## ?

Basically need to solve for ##8\pi G \rho_0/a +\Lambda a^2 -k = 0## subject to the above values of ##k## only allowed ?

binbagsss said:
##k=0## and ##\Lambda = \frac{-8\pi G \rho_0}{a}## ?

Basically need to solve for ##8\pi G \rho_0/a +\Lambda a^2 -k = 0## subject to the above values of ##k## only allowed ?

Aren't there two equations?

phyzguy said:
Aren't there two equations?

equating ##a## coefficients, but baring in mind that ##\Lambda## can depend on ##a## and ##k## can not, so ##k## for the 0th order equation?

binbagsss said:
I find: ##\rho =\frac{ \rho_0}{a^3}##; (I am told this is ##\geq0## , is ##a\geq0## so here I can conclude that ##\rho_0 \geq =0 ## or not?)

Plugging this and ##p=0## into the first Einstein equation I get:

##\dot{a^2}+k-\Lambda a^2=\frac{8\pi G \rho_0}{a}##
apologies to re-bump but
re-looking at this , ##\rho =\frac{ \rho_0}{a^3} \geq 0 ##
## \rho=\frac{\rho_0}{a} \frac{1}{a^2} \geq 0 ## and so since ##\frac{1}{a^2}>0 ## it must be that ##\rho=\frac{\rho_0}{a} \geq 0 ##

so from the other equation ##0+k-\Lambda a^2 \geq 0## is the required constraint ?

binbagsss said:
apologies to re-bump but
re-looking at this , ##\rho =\frac{ \rho_0}{a^3} \geq 0 ##
## \rho=\frac{\rho_0}{a} \frac{1}{a^2} \geq 0 ## and so since ##\frac{1}{a^2}>0 ## it must be that ##\rho=\frac{\rho_0}{a} \geq 0 ##

so from the other equation ##0+k-\Lambda a^2 \geq 0## is the required constraint ?

I'm getting a bit confused since it says ##k=-1,0,1## , but since the question doesn't specify whether ##\Lamda## is ##>0## or ##<0## there is no need to/no way to narrow down this further

Related to General Relativity - FRW Metric - FRW Equations show that ...

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, which we experience as gravity. It has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of gravity in our universe.

What is the FRW Metric?

The FRW Metric, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker Metric, is a mathematical representation of the expanding universe in the framework of General Relativity. It describes the geometry of the universe and how it changes over time.

What are the FRW Equations?

The FRW Equations are a set of equations derived from the FRW Metric that describe the behavior of the universe on a large scale. They include the Friedmann equations, which describe the expansion of the universe, and the energy conservation equation, which relates the energy density of the universe to its expansion rate.

What does the FRW Metric and Equations show?

The FRW Metric and Equations show that the universe is expanding and that this expansion is accelerating. They also provide a framework for understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale, including the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter.

What is the significance of the FRW Metric and Equations?

The FRW Metric and Equations are significant because they provide a way to understand the behavior of the universe using the principles of General Relativity. They have been tested and confirmed by numerous observations and experiments, and they continue to be a fundamental tool in our understanding of the universe.