General question about differentiating power series

In summary, when differentiating a series, the first term becomes zero because it is a constant. This means that the index of the series may need to be adjusted from n=0 to n=1. However, if the first term is already zero, there is no need to bother with changing the index. This is a common practice in differential equations class when finding series solutions. Changing the index does not change the overall sum as long as the stripped out terms are accounted for. It is also important to consider different opinions before making a decision.
Feodalherren
Say I have a simple series like

[itex]\Sigma^{∞}_{n=0} X^{n}[/itex]

When I differentiate this series the first term goes to 0 because it's a constant. Does that mean that I have to adjust the index of the series from n=0 to n=1? If I don't do it, the first term still goes to zero as n(x^(n-1)) when n=0, is 0. My question is, do I even need to bother with the index? It's such a hassle and I'm trying to come up with a plan to save time on my exams. Obviously, if I have to sums and need them together I will change the index.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would have to change the index. We do that in my differential equations class when we find series solutions to DE's. Remember changing the index of summation doesn't change the sum as long as you account for the terms you've stripped out. You just add the stripped out terms to the overall sum. Since zero is the first term, you can omit it. For each positive shift in index another term comes outside the summation.

You might want another opinion first, this is my first time giving advice rather than taking it on this forum.

-Lee

No, you don't have to change the index as long as when you expand the summation it gives the right result.

Related to General question about differentiating power series

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical concept that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms in the form of an(x-c)n, where n is a non-negative integer and c is a constant. It is used to approximate functions and can be differentiated or integrated to find new power series.

2. How do you differentiate a power series?

To differentiate a power series, you can use the standard rules of differentiation for polynomials. Multiply each term by its exponent, decrease the exponent by 1, and then sum the resulting terms. This will result in a new power series that represents the derivative of the original function.

3. Can all functions be represented as a power series?

No, not all functions can be represented as a power series. The function must be analytic, meaning it can be expressed as a convergent power series in a certain interval. Functions that are not analytic, such as piecewise functions or functions with discontinuities, cannot be represented as a power series.

4. How do you find the interval of convergence for a power series?

The interval of convergence for a power series can be found by using the ratio test. Take the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio between the n+1 term and the n term. If this limit is less than 1, the series will converge. If it is greater than 1, the series will diverge. The endpoints of the interval should also be checked for convergence.

5. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a special type of power series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms in the form of f(n)(c)(x-c)n, where f(n)(c) represents the nth derivative of the function evaluated at x=c. It is used to approximate functions and can be used to find derivatives and integrals of functions.