General Lens Question: Diverging or Converging

In summary, the question is about determining whether a specific lens, which appears to be two concave lenses combined, is converging or diverging. The solution is to compare the curvature of each lens and determine which is greater. If the first lens has a greater curvature, then it is converging, while if the second lens has a greater curvature, it is diverging. It can also be determined by the thickness of the lens, with a thicker middle indicating a converging lens and a thinner middle indicating a diverging lens.
digipony

Homework Statement

General question here: If I have a lens that looks like two concave lenses put together (I believe it is called a Meniscus), how do I conceptually tell whether the lens should be converging or diverging? I think I remember reading something saying that it depends upon which lens has the greater Curvature but I can't find where I saw this...
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind: figured it out. If the curvature of the first lens is greater, then it is converging. If the curvature of the second lens is greater, it is diverging.

If the lens is thicker in the middle, it's converging; if thinner, diverging.

Related to General Lens Question: Diverging or Converging

1. What is the difference between a diverging and converging lens?

A diverging lens is thinner in the middle and causes light rays to spread out, or diverge, while a converging lens is thicker in the middle and causes light rays to converge to a point.

2. How do I determine if a lens is diverging or converging?

You can determine if a lens is diverging or converging by looking at its shape. A lens that is thicker in the middle is converging, while a lens that is thinner in the middle is diverging.

3. What is the focal length of a diverging or converging lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance from the center of the lens to the point where light rays converge or diverge. The focal length of a diverging lens is negative, while the focal length of a converging lens is positive.

4. Can a lens be both diverging and converging?

No, a lens cannot be both diverging and converging. The shape of a lens determines whether it is diverging or converging.

5. How does the curvature of a lens affect its ability to converge or diverge light?

The curvature of a lens plays a crucial role in its ability to converge or diverge light. A lens with a more pronounced curvature will have a shorter focal length and therefore will have a stronger ability to converge or diverge light compared to a lens with a flatter curvature.