Focal Length Problem: -30cm Converging/Diverging Lens

In summary, a lens made of glass with one concave side and one convex side has a radius of curvature of 5 cm and 7.5 cm, respectively. Using the formula (1/f)=(n-1)[(1/R1)+(1/R2)], where n is the refractive index of glass and air, the focal length of the lens is calculated to be 16.667 cm. However, this answer is supposed to be negative, and upon checking the sign convention, it is found that the negative sign might have been misplaced in the calculation. Correcting this error results in a focal length of -30 cm, indicating that the lens is diverging.
Chase11

Homework Statement

A lens made of glass has one concave side with a radius of curvature of 5 cm, and one convex side with a raduis of curvature of 7.5 cm. What is the focal length of the lens? Is this a converging or diverging lens?

Homework Equations

nglass=1.5
nair=1.0
(1/f)=(n-1)[(1/R1)+(1/R2)
R1=5 cm
R2=7.5 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

1/f=(1.5-1)[(1/5cm)+(1/7.5cm)] = .5(7.5cm+5cm/.375cm) = 16.667
So f=1/16.667=.06cm

The answer is supposed to be -30 cm and diverging. I have done a lot of similar problems right, I don't understand what I keep doing wrong on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the sign convention.

I thought it had something to do with that, but I honestly don't know where to change the sign. Is R2 supposed to be -7.5 because it is convex?

I'm getting 30 cm now, but this answer is supposed to be negative. Why would my answer come out positive?

Concave means negative radius and convex means positive one.

Chase11 said:
I'm getting 30 cm now, but this answer is supposed to be negative. Why would my answer come out positive?
... impossible to say without you show your calculation.
You probably misplaced a minus sign...

Related to Focal Length Problem: -30cm Converging/Diverging Lens

1. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and the point where light rays converge or diverge after passing through the lens. It is measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm).

2. What does a negative focal length indicate?

A negative focal length indicates that the lens is a diverging lens, meaning it causes light rays to spread out or diverge after passing through the lens. This type of lens is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.

3. What is the difference between a converging and a diverging lens?

A converging lens, also known as a convex lens, causes light rays to converge or come together after passing through the lens. It is thicker at the center and thinner at the edges. A diverging lens, also known as a concave lens, causes light rays to spread out or diverge after passing through the lens. It is thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.

4. How does the focal length affect image formation?

The focal length of a lens affects the size and position of the image formed. A shorter focal length results in a larger magnification and a closer image, while a longer focal length results in a smaller magnification and a farther image.

5. How can a negative focal length be used in practical applications?

A negative focal length can be used in applications such as correcting nearsightedness in eyeglasses and binoculars, as well as in telescopes to create a virtual image. It can also be used to create a wider field of view in camera lenses.