General Integral Question (not a specific problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of anti-derivatives and definite integrals. The book states that the only way to show that the function f(x) = \sqrt {1 + x^{4}} has an anti-derivative is to take a definite integral, and this cannot be expressed without calculus. The conversation also touches on the Fundamental Theorem, using the negative integral before taking a derivative, and the switch from t dt to x dx. The example given shows the use of the chain rule and the concept of u substitution in finding derivatives of functions defined as definite integrals. The conversation concludes with the understanding of these concepts.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

My book states that "The only way that we can show that the function [tex] f(x) = \sqrt {1 + x^{4}} [/tex] has an anti-derivative is to take a definite integral,

[tex]\int^{x}_{0} \sqrt {1 + t^{4}} dt[/tex]

This is a new function that cannot be expressed in terms of algebraic, trigonometric or exponential functions without calculus."

What are they really saying here? I don't understand the point. Why is the anti-derivative of
[tex] f(x) = \sqrt {1 + x^{4}} [/tex] an integral? And why do we switch the variables from x to t with respect to t?

Second Part Of My Question

From my book:

"The Fundamental Theorem can also be used to find the derivative of a function which is defined as a definite integral with a variable limit of integration. This can be done without actually evaluating the integral."

Examples:

Let

[tex] y = \int^{2}_{x} \sqrt{1+t^{2}} dt [/tex]

then

[tex] y = - \int^{x}_{2} \sqrt{1+t^{2}} dt [/tex]

and

[tex] dy = -d( \int^{x}_{2} \sqrt{1+t^{2}}dt) = -\sqrt{1+x^{2}} dx [/tex]

My question here arises from the same thing, why do they take a negative integral before taking a derivative and why does the derivative switch from t dt to x dx? The only reason I can see from the example is that x is the upper limit of the integral.. is that why?

A second example given:

Let

[tex] y = \int^{x^{2}+x}_{3} \frac {1} {t^{3}+1} dt [/tex]

Let

[tex] u = x^{2}+x [/tex]

Then

[tex] \frac {du}{dx} = (2x+1) [/tex] ... [tex] y = \int^{u}_{3} \frac {1}{t^{3}+1} dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dy}{du} = \frac {1}{u^{3}+1} [/tex]

then by the chain rule

[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{u^{3}+1} (2x+1) = \frac {2x +1} {(x^{2}+x)^{3} +1} [/tex]

I have basically the same questions as before here, so any advice would be great.

The only thing that is after this in my book is questions for the chapter so I am kind of at a loss right now.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually never mind, I got it, thanks anyway!

Related to General Integral Question (not a specific problem)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve in a graph. It is also known as the anti-derivative of a function and is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated using a method called integration. There are different techniques for integration, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, and integration by parts.

3. What is the purpose of integrals in science?

Integrals are used in science to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding velocity, acceleration, and displacement. They are also used in physics to calculate work, energy, and momentum.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the answer. An indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general solution in the form of a function.

5. How can integrals be applied in real-life situations?

Integrals have various applications in real-life situations, such as in engineering for designing structures, in economics for calculating profit and loss, in biology for modeling population growth, and in medicine for analyzing drug concentrations in the body.