General GRE Scores: Is a 570 Enough for Math/Stat Grad Programs?

In regards to your quant score: It is 330 points above average (avg=460)In summary, most Math/Stat grad programs consider a "good score" for the general GRE to be above 700. However, a friend has said that an 800 in the quant section is necessary. The OP received a 570 in verbal and 790 in quant, which are 110 and 330 points above the average scores of 460, respectively. The OP is unsure of their writing score and is wondering if their verbal score of 570 is acceptable for a native speaker. They took the general GRE with minimal preparation and are hesitant to retake it for a higher verbal score. Other forum users have shared similar scores and have been told
ralphhumacho
What do most Math/Stat grad programs consider a "good score" for the general GRE? A friend told me you need an 800 in the quant section, and I've also heard that as long as you're above 700, you should be fine.

I took the general GRE today, got a 570 in verbal, 790 quantitative. Don't know the writing score, but I'm guessing it's around a 4.

Anyone know anything definitive? Also, is a 570 an *acceptable* score for a native speaker? I took the general GRE with no practice other than going thru one of the power prep tests. I really don't want to have to take the general test over for the sake of a higher verbal score.

Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot speak for all Math/Stat grad programs as each program may have their own specific criteria for admission. However, I can provide some general information regarding GRE scores.

Firstly, it is important to note that GRE scores are just one component of a graduate school application. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements. Therefore, it is difficult to determine a "good score" as it may vary from program to program and also depends on the strength of the overall application.

That being said, for Math/Stat programs, a strong quantitative score is typically given more weight than the verbal score. A score of 790 in the quantitative section is considered very high and would likely be viewed positively by admissions committees. The verbal score of 570 may be on the lower end, but it is difficult to determine if it is considered acceptable without knowing the specific requirements of the program you are applying to.

In terms of what is considered a "good score", it is difficult to provide a definitive answer as it can vary. However, a score of 800 in the quantitative section is the highest possible score and would likely be viewed favorably by most programs. A score above 700 is also considered strong and should not be a major concern for admissions.

It is also important to note that being a native speaker does not guarantee a high verbal score. The GRE is designed to test a wide range of skills and knowledge, and a score of 570 may still be considered acceptable for a native speaker.

In conclusion, while a higher verbal score may strengthen your application, a score of 570 in the verbal section should not necessarily be a cause for concern. I would recommend focusing on strengthening other aspects of your application and highlighting your strengths in your personal statement and letters of recommendation. Ultimately, it is up to the admissions committee to determine the weight of GRE scores in their decision-making process.

Related to General GRE Scores: Is a 570 Enough for Math/Stat Grad Programs?

1. Is a score of 570 on the General GRE enough for admission into a math or statistics graduate program?

This score may be considered competitive for some programs, but it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and competitiveness of the program you are applying to. It is important to research the average GRE scores of admitted students at your desired programs to get a better understanding of where your score falls.

2. Can a low GRE score be compensated for by other parts of my application?

Yes, a low GRE score can potentially be offset by strong letters of recommendation, research experience, and a compelling personal statement. However, a strong GRE score can also greatly enhance your chances of admission, so it is important to strive for a high score if possible.

3. Is the General GRE score the only factor that matters for admissions into graduate programs?

No, the General GRE score is just one component of your overall application. Other factors such as undergraduate coursework, research experience, personal statement, and letters of recommendation are also taken into consideration by admissions committees.

4. How important is the GRE score compared to other aspects of the application?

The importance of the GRE score varies among different graduate programs. Some programs may place a higher emphasis on the GRE score, while others may place more weight on other factors such as research experience or letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements and priorities of the programs you are applying to.

5. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you are allowed to retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that some schools may require you to report all GRE scores from the past 5 years, so it is important to carefully consider whether a retake is necessary and to prepare thoroughly for the exam.