General GRE Math Score Importance to Engineering Schools

In summary, the GRE quantitative portion is important for physics graduate schools, but it does not hurt to retake it if you still have time.
teroenza
Hello,
I am a physics major who is going to graduate soon, and am taking the general and physics GREs. I am looking at both physics and engineering graduate schools. I believe that the physics GRE is pretty much irrelevant to engineering schools, but I have had difficulty with the quantitative portion of the general GRE. I know it is easy math, and that ideally I should ace it, but I have had an alternate route to college and despite studying, spend too much time on the problems.

I have been told that anything below 60% percentile in the quantitative portion is a "real problem" for physics graduate schools. Is this a reasonable assumption for engineering schools as well?

I do fine on the other portions of the GRE, have good grades and have good letters from people I have done research with.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Plain and simple, the math quantitative section's importance depends on the graduate schools in question. Each one values it differently. Some schools will weight them heavier than others.

Please note: The GRE quantitative portion is not any math you have not experienced already. It is understandable if you are a bad test taker or just have issues with 4 hour long exams, but you should be able to do the math required in the GRE.

It does not hurt to retake it if you still have time.

Let me add that, by "good" grades I mean a ~3.5 GPA. I do not expect to go to a top program in either physics or engineering, but would like to go to a "respected" one.

I have retaken it once already and scored 1 point better than the time before. I know I understand the math, but I just can't seem to think through the problems in 35 min. Specifically, I do well on the 1st math section (miss perhaps 2 out of 20), then the next section is what kills me. I am debating taking it a third time.

Last edited:

Related to General GRE Math Score Importance to Engineering Schools

1. What is the General GRE Math Score?

The General GRE Math Score is a section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) that assesses a student's quantitative reasoning abilities. It consists of 40 multiple-choice questions and is scored on a scale of 130-170.

2. How important is the General GRE Math Score for admission to engineering schools?

The importance of the General GRE Math Score varies among engineering schools. Some schools may place a strong emphasis on this score, while others may consider it as just one factor among many in the admissions process. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the engineering schools you are interested in.

3. Can a low General GRE Math Score affect my chances of getting into an engineering school?

Yes, a low General GRE Math Score can potentially impact your chances of getting into an engineering school. However, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your undergraduate coursework, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also important components of your application.

4. Is there a minimum General GRE Math Score required for admission to engineering schools?

There is no set minimum General GRE Math Score required for admission to engineering schools. Each school sets its own standards and considers a variety of factors in the admissions process. However, most engineering schools have an average GRE Math Score for accepted students, which can give you an idea of what score range you should aim for.

5. Can I retake the General GRE if I am not satisfied with my math score?

Yes, you can retake the General GRE if you are not satisfied with your math score. You can take the GRE up to five times within a 12-month period, with a maximum of once every 21 days. However, it is important to note that some engineering schools may only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores. Be sure to research the policies of the schools you are applying to before retaking the exam.